How can people get away with charging up to 8.00 for shipping a mug on ebay?

They lowball the prices and then charge a fortune for shipping. Or it's the same exact price. Really, it costs that much to ship a mug? Is this consumer gouging.

• Best answer

sounds very extortionate to me.

Because people focus on the upfront price.  They price that low enough to make the sale and then charge on shipping to make (in their mind at least), a reasonable profit.

Shipping fees are very clear on eBay - if you don't want to pay $8 to ship a mug, then don't buy it.

Obviously, you haven't shipped much.  It costs $2.99 just to send an envelope with the tiniest of a flat thing in it.  The box, wrapped in bubble wrap - you don't want it to break, do you?  And, because it is a breakable item, it is probably being sent insured.  The box is probably 8 x 8  x 8.  That's what is necessary to send a mug wrapped in bubble wrap.

Source(s): Done a LOT of shipping.
  • John

Is simple, those who won't pay that, move on.

Have you tried to mail anything lately?  Postage rates went up a lot last January.

I've have had people offer me $10 for an item that will cost at least $12 to ship.

Did you NOT click on shipping??  I always check that.