Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleOther - Beauty & Style · 3 weeks ago

How do I get my daughter to remove her piercings?

My daughter who just turned 17 seems to have an addiction with piercings. When she was 11 she really wanted to get her ears double pierced. I didn’t allow her simply because I wasn’t a fan of the look. When she was 13 I finally gave in, and let her get them as a birthday present. Then a yr later she asks for a 3rd hole in her ears. Which I agreed to only because we made a deal about something else. After that I told her no more piercings. Obviously she didn’t listen because a few months later I see her with 4th holes cause her dad gave her permission. Then after that every couple months or so I saw her with more and more piercings in her ears, because my husband kept taking her to get them done. Only cause she knew I would say no if she asked me. I talked to him about it and he said that he saw no reason why not to since they weren’t causing any harm and she liked the style and was happy.

Well now she has 24 piercings total on her ears. I personally don’t like them and think they look ugly. And I’ve told her that but she said that she paid for them with her money and that she doesn’t care what people think. And now I overheard her asking her dad for a belly button piercing.

How can I get her to take them out?

This is really more an issue with your husband than with your daughter.

It is your daughter's body, that being said, she is of age and is paying for the piercings with her own money. Parents and their children will always have disagreements. What this generation likes/prefers, might not be preferred by the next generation. As your daughter gets older and gets tired of her piercings or feel as if they aren't suitable anymore, she will remove them.  

• LM440

In is natural that parents have different approaches.  My wife had multiple ear piercings, nostril and navel.  As our daughters matured and asked we had no solid ground to disapprove.  Piercings are popular and young people want them.  I have two daughters that love piercings and I never had a problem with them or the  piercings.  They are great young adults.  I never thought of asking them to take them out.  They can make their own decision when and if they ever want to take them out.

• Laura

It sounds like you have an issue more with your husband than your child. 

Your child isn't doing anything wrong by asking to get these.  Your husband is wrong for going against what you two agreed on, unless you agreed on something different and in that case you would be the one wrong here. 

She is 17.  You have missed your chance to teach her about things like this.  Accept this fact and move on.  Get a better relationship with your husband instead. 

Simply tie them to the garbage disposal it will simply bring her closer to her doom until she removes them

Yesterday you said she was 16 and you allowed her to get her second piercing at 12.

• Alexandra3 weeks agoReport

Must’ve been someone else. I wasn’t on here yesterday

• patty

too little too late. one earring on each ear should have been enough till she was 18.

As long as she is happy and confident with how she looks I wouldn’t ask her to take out anything. Let her be herself, don’t try to make her change for any reason over your opinion. It’s a new generation... Sure you may not be into the piercings and what not but her happiness should be more meaningful and important to you than all that. That’s just my thought on it though.

A trolling we will go, a trolling we will go

Heigh ho, the dairy-o, a trolling we will go

i dont think you can ask her to remove them,