Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 4 weeks ago

installing new graphics card ?

hey, just got a new graphics card and decided to take my old one out and put the new one in. i made sure i was on tile floor and tried to ground myself on the case, door knob etc before going in. i didn’t feel anything but i’m having a friend come by in a bit to finish it off but i’m awfully scared for some reason i may have static shocked the computer/GPU. should i be concerned? would i have felt it? how rare is it truly to actually shock and destroy the insides of a computer especially when not on carpet 

• John

More. Yeah, I used to build my own and still crack open the case when I need to. In the beginning I took the "Make SURE you ground yourself......." stuff very seriously, like you. I sort of forgot all about since 10-15 years ago or something.  Just get in there and do it, anymore.  But I don't have wool carpeting either.

If you saw a big spark while you touched the graphics card, it's always possible something may have shorted.

That said, pop in the new GPU, fire up the drivers, and get gaming. If it's fried, then it should be on 1 year manufacturers warranty and can be sent in for replacement.

• Dave

It would take a fairly substantial shock to hurt anything, and you'd definitely feel it. I've built hundreds of PC's over the past 20 years, have yet to shock one.

Personally

I've never taken the precautions that you describe

and

I've never had a problem.

I used to maintain dozens of PCs

and I've built several for my own use

and repair my own when needed.

These things just aren't that delicate.

You'd probably have to be rubbing bare feet on a shag carpet for about 10 minutes to build up enough voltage to shock & short the board

and

you would DEFINITELY feel the shock.

The computer case itself is grounded

(if the cord is left plugged in)

and so

once you've sat down, turned off the PC and opened the case

you're almost certain to get the case (safe for the PC) before you get any of the circuitry.

That's probably the least of your concerns honestly...