Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 3 weeks ago

Can I be a software AND hardware engineer?

Is there any way I can be a software AND hardware engineer at the same time?

No one is allowed to have that much power!

If you become both you will surely be hunted by the CIA.

Yes, you can be a Computer Engineer.

• keerok

Yes, sure why not? As long as you know exactly what you are doing, then no problem. From what I know, hardware engineers study programming too so that might be where you will want to start.

Yes you can do Computer Engineering. 

• Me2

Yes, absolutely.  Because software is an intimate part of much modern hardware, hardware engineers are expected to have some coding expertise, and often are more familiar with primitives (e.g., toggling register bits and signal lines) than a software engineer at the same level.

Steve Wozniak was informally considered to have created the best engineered device to date, a disk controller containing only seven integrated circuits, when contemporary controllers had up to a hundred.  It was said at the time that that controller would have been impossible unless the same person designed the hardware, did the board layout (just 5 feedthroughs), and wrote the software.

Keeping in mind that he's "Woz" and I'm not, I did something similar in the early-to-mid 80s, a parallel printer interface for Atari 8-bit computers with just four 14-pin ICs, which plugged into one joystick port.  At the time, I was just learning about digital design and the Atari OS, but I'm certain the implementation would have taken far longer if I'd done just the hardware or just the software.

I did that,,for the aerospace industry no less. What they call an R&D engineer.

My niche was advanced radio communications systems.

No reason why you should not if you qualify for both positions, this will also depend on your employer

A well rounded IT Tech does both of these functions!

No.............

• Jay

yes but you will need a woman