I'm 25 years of age and wanting to establish my own life though my father is urging me to give him 2/3 or 1/2 of my paycheck.Am I required ?

What should I do ? Is it mandatory that I give him 1/2 or 1/3 of my money as I live with him and he gives me 10 dollars a day for gas and food

I am muslim but my dad isn't really 

• Judee

If you work and earn money then you must pay your way in life.  How much that should be must be determined by discussion and/or negotiation and it might be possible to discuss how much you help around the home in hopes that might bring the figure down, assuming that you DO help of course.  If you don't then maybe you could suggest doing so to bring down the amount your father asks you to give.  Being a muslim has nothing to do with this, it's just common sense, decency and fairness which every family needs, to survive having to live with each other.

If you want to keep your own money, get your own home.

• Kin

First of all, what do you mean by your dad isn't really? Second, there is a short video you should definitely watch and listen in the comments I'll provide because it definitely answers your question and you should feel some shame and shyness towards your father when it comes to finances or money. Be sure to watch couple of links in the comments, its very important you watch them and let me know something about it in the comments, leave a comment{s}. Thank you.

• Kin
      3 weeks agoReport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU3xiepvebE

Why don’t

You move out? 

You can pay him some money towards, rent, bills &

Food but not half your pay check.

Rent is expensive. If that is what he charges, that is what you must pay, unless you move out.

• Cogito

You should be paying him a fair sum every month towards the household expenses.  When I started work at 18 I gave my parents half my wages and became responsible for buying all my own clothes, toiletries, etc.

I don't understand why he's giving you the $10 back, though.  That doesn't make sense.

Find out what it would cost you to live in a small apartment on your own.  I bet it would be a lot more than you're giving your dad!

But as soon as you can, leave home.  At 25 you really shouldn't be still living at home.

No but he can just kick you out. I would advise investing in a caravan or finding your own place.