Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 4 weeks ago

What is the purpose of mosquito and why do they even exist?

They do not contribute anything besides deadly diseases or infections. 

So many people worldwide die of malaria needlessly. 

• oikoσ

The purpose of mosquitoes is to reproduce more mosquitoes. It's much the same with every animal or plant you could name, including humans. Humans are the only ones, though, that ask this question, as if the universe revolved around them.

• Mosquitoes serve important functions in numerous ecosystems, serving as food for many species, helping filter detritus for plant life to thrive, pollinating flowers, and even affecting the herding paths of caribou in the tundra.

They exist because they are well adapted to an available ecological niche, just like other living organisms. Organisms that fail to adapt or were unlucky to be wiped out by a catastrophe are gone. The giant meteor that wiped out all of the dinosaurs also wiped out a lot of plant eating insects. Mosquitoes survived because their larvae live in the water, and the water was cool enough to allow them to survive.

• D g

Most people think of mosquitoes only as insects that suck blood, but they have another niche in the ecosystem–they pollinate flowers. Male mosquitoes never bite, and the females need the protein in blood only to produce eggs, so the normal food of adult mosquitoes is actually nectar from plants.

Hahaha it's funny cause I wad chasing a mosquito in my room to kill it and then I took a break and saw your question. I'm wondering the exact same thing. Everything has a reason and a purpose in their life. Trees provide oxygen, cows milk, chickens eggs etc.

Mosquitos? I have no idea. I hate them.

And I still haven't killed that one in my bedroom. Gotta go find it...

• No living thing has a purpose.  Everything alive today is only alive because its ancestors were able to survive long enough to successfully breed.  That includes us and it includes the mosquitoes.  If every human died today, the universe wouldn't care and neither would the mosquitoes.