Should the Tax Preparation Service that I went to charge me when i request for my income tax filing copy?

I don't remember getting mine for 2018. What do you think?

I don't remember getting my client copy from them when I filed 2018 through them.

You should be given a copy when it is prepared. If you lose the copy or want another it is OK for the service to charge a reasonable fee for another copy.

• Eva

They must have provided you a copy before you signed off on it. They are not required to provide another for free, though many services will.

Probably.

They will probably charge you a small fee for the time and expense that it takes to reprint the return.

• Amy

If you just now filed your 2018 tax return and you haven't received a copy, then no, they shouldn't charge you for something that they promised would be included in the price.

But if you filed back in April, it's not surprising that you don't remember the very unmemorable moment that you received a copy of your tax return. But you would have noticed back then if you didn't get it before the deadline. Maybe they emailed a final version for your approval before they filed it, and didn't have any reason to send you the same version again.

So yes, they should charge you enough to cover the salary of the person who has to verify your identity, look up your return, and mail it to you. And the cost of storing your documents securely in the first place. And if you want a printed copy, they should charge you for the cost of materials (printer, paper, ink, envelope, postage). 

A copy would have been included in the fee. The fact that you don't remember getting it does not mean you didn't as it is standard practice in the business.

• NA

It's a minor hassle to pull and print the return.  A small fee is justified.  It isn't theit fault you misplaced your copy.