Sons attendance low for 6 days off? ?

I requested approval from school today to take my son out of school next week for a week to go abroad (family emergency) and she said she’s authorising 2 days off school but 3 days will be marked as unauthorised only because his attendance is 91%. So it’s part authorised only because of his attendance. 

She counted how many days he’s had off school since beginning in September and all together he’s had 6 days off. 

How can 6 days off result in 91% attendance? I had no idea. & the thing is my son suffers with reoccurring tonsillitis on which I went to hospital this morning to pick up a machine to do a sleep study on my son. Who’s 5. He suffers with sleep apnea too so we have to monitor his sleep then go back in 3 months and possibly have his tonsils removed. He gets it all the time especially during winter that’s why he’s had 6 days off school since September. But being ill is marked as unauthorised leave. She said this time we will not get fined but if it’s repeating taking him away during term time then obviously we will get fined but she understands it’s a family concern and said she would give us 5 days authorised leave but because of his current attendance it has to be part 2 days authorised 3 days not. And this is a one off it won’t happen again. I’m just shocked at 91%. How much more will it go down now for the unauthorised 3 days he will be out of school? I’m concerned.  

• drip

Knowing your country would help. 

Any medical problem should be documented with a doctor note to the school to ensure an excused absence. 

I am in the USA.  Excused and unexcused absences and how many days off per semester are allowed are clearly explained in the school’s handbook.

An illness is excused if their doctor is prescribing that the child is not allowed to go to school.

You need the rules and policies handbook of the school your son attends.

This is only for one term? It resets next term? How much longer is the term? What is the policies for illness. Surely if a doctor says he must stay home, that is excused.  Do they want a child who is throwing up or contagious attending school so the family don’t fined??

Who is the “she” that is telling you all this. Is there a school board or anyone she reports to? Take it up the ladder.

How many days has term been so far. Doing the math, yes he very well could be at 91%.

If your father is dying and is in another country, you must go. I wouldn’t leave my five year old with anyone but family he knows well  for 5+ days. 

• drip
      2 weeks agoReport

I would check. Mistakes can be made. I can’t believe a letter from the hospital would not count as an excused absence 

• Tavy

It really does not matter. He will be in primary school until he is 11, a senior school is not going to be bothered about his attendance at 5; you are overthinking this.

UK.

"How can 6 days off result in 91% attendance?" uhhh math? We're talking 11 weeks total here. 91% is acceptable even for kids that aren't prone to illness or require frequent medical visits, and I can't imagine a school making this into a problem.

Obviously this should not be normal procedure. If it escalates you have to talk to the school board. If he's not ditching class and is keeping up with assignments, why should attendance matter?

if six days off is 91pc attendance, then there have been about 66 school days so far. If the entire semester is 90 days long, then 9 total missed days will be 90 pc attendance. review the school's grading policies ... it may well be that something happens if attendance is below 90pc.

family emergency requires missing an entire week of school? for a five year old? frankly, i'm just as skeptical as the school's administrator is. the emergency is either in your family or your wife's. that means one of you isn't directly involved and can stay home from the emergency to make sure your child attends school.

Bluntly put, even if the emergency is the imminent passing of an elder, this is something your 5 year old probably should not be exposed to. One of you should stay home while the other attends the emergency.

Source(s): grampa -- four adult children, eight grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and my wife passed away two years ago. We didn't allow anyone under age 18 to attend her in hospice. Completely unfair to a small child.
    • drip
      2 weeks agoReport

Not everyone has someone they could leave their five year old with for a week. Many people do not have family living near them. 

• Mamie

You have to talk to the administrators at your son's school.  

So what do you expect us here on YA to do about it. Looks like you are talking to the wrong people by trying to ask here on YA as we cannot do anything or give you an answer.