What book should I buy for my brother? ?

He's 20 years old. He loves all the percy Jackson books, artemis fowl and the gone series. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Update:

His favourite genre is fantasy. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Even if you happen to know exactly what books he does and doesn't own, you still can't know what OTHER books he may already have read, or may have already decided he doesn't want to read.Don't risk buying a book he's already read or doesn't like the sound of.

By far the best thing to do is to buy him a book token or voucher, or whatever you call them where you live.If this is for his birthday or some special occasion, make it even more fun by giving him half an hour to choose a book himself, then meet him outside the book shop and take him for a special coffee and cake. 

• JerryL
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

i sugest lord of the rings its a classic and cronicals of nurniya

• Zac Z
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

We fantasy lovers love ourselves a good and long series but I would not recommend you to buy your brother the first book of a super-long series like the Wheel of Time (unless he's expressed interest).

Judging from your list of books he likes, I'd say you could maybe get him some traditional fantasy.

There are some shorter series* you might want to consider, or go right to a stand-alone novel.

Guy Gavriel Kay is an amazing writer. He's written a more traditional trilogy (the Fionavar trilogy) but all of his other books are stand-alone novels (albeit with very very slight links) expect for the two-book series "The Sarantine Mosaic".

You might also want to consider Joe Abercrombie's work, most notably the books in his First Law universe. There's an initial trilogy, several stand-alone novels, a story collection, and a new trilogy coming out now. These works can be read independently.

Paolini's four-book series Eragon has already been mentioned. (Please ignore the other three suggestion of Jay's suggestions, they don't fit the bill at all!)

The late Canadian writer Dave Duncan is not as well-known as he deserves but has produced lots of great books, series as well as stand-alones. Choose freely!

Another interesting choice might be the Witcher books by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. These are being adapted and will hit the silver screen before the end of the year; these would be a very timely gift. Get your brother the two short story collections "Sword of Destiny" and "The Last Wish"; if he like them he can go on to read the novels

Oh, and there's also Rick Riordan's other series. Some of them are connected to the Percy Jackson books. His bibliography is a bit complicated and your brother might have read some of them already but it's something to consider.

There are also a couple of shorter sub-series that are followed by other sub-series in a much longer work. The advantage here is that your brother can read the first series without the feeling of having read something incomplete and yet have a lot more books if he's interested.

Some candidates are:

- the Dragonlance Chronicles** by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman; these are classic fantasy adventures that are a great read and there are a lot more books in this world (but not all are as good)

- the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist: also classic fantasy, also a trilogy (or tetralogy as the first book is split into two in some editions) which is followed by a good deal more sub-series that can be read but one doesn't have to

- the Shannara books by Terry Brooks: these consist of several sets of books set generations apart that also can be read relatively independently; it's best to read them in publication order and start with the initial Shannara trilogy

Some great stand-alone novels are:

- The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

- Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

- Neverwhere and Stardust, also by Neil Gaiman (those two are independent)

- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

- Imajica by Clive Barker (a massive novel, split in some editions)

- A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (this is a less traditional novel, a quiet novel but brilliant)

- The Princess Bride by William Goldman

- if your brother likes humorous books check out Christopher Moore; I especially liked "A Dirty Job"

If you want to get something special, check out Tanith Lee. She has written many series but also stand-alones. Some of them are being re-released at the moment and should be easily available.

One last thing: do NOT buy any of the Song of Ice and Fire books by George R. R. Martin (on which Game of Thrones is based)! The first books are great but it'll frustrate your brother enormously that the series won't be finished before 2037 (possibly).

The same is true for Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles, and to a lesser extent to Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series.

That should be enough for the moment. Good luck!   ;-)

* I'm not going to list all the individual titles as all my suggestions have Wikipedia pages which you can consult to find the titles   :-)

** there's a nice omnibus edition of this trilogy of which I am a happy owner but the price has since gone up to almost $40 on Amazon; go instead for the three single editions:

https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Autumn-Twilight-Dra...

https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Winter-Night-Dragon...

https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Spring-Dawning-Drag...

• 3 weeks ago

He might enjoy the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

A book token. Then he can make his own choice.

• 3 weeks ago

He might be really interested in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series then. There's 15 books in it, start with the first one.

• 3 weeks ago

I strongly recommend the WHEEL OF TIME series. The first book is THE EYE OF THE WORLD. by Robert Jordan.

Also consider the DRESDAN SERIES by Jim Butcher. The first book is STORM FRONT.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  

• Jay
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

the tropic of cancer

heart of darkness

eragon

the communist manifesto

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.