I was told Thanksgiving is a religious day because we are giving "Thanks" to God. Is this true?

• Best answer

A unique fact of history the Protestant Pilgrims was not the first Thanksgiving

“The first American Thanksgiving was actually celebrated on September 8 in 1565 in St. Augustine, Florida. (56 years before Puritan Pilgrims) The Native Americans and Spanish settlers held a feast and the Holy Catholic Mass was offered. The Catholic Eucharist in Greek means “Thanksgiving”

https://taylormarshall.com/2013/11/6-interesting-c...

It’s now considered a ‘day of mourning’ for Native Americans, from what I understand. Perspective is everything I guess 

no it is not.............

• Here is what the real Thanksgiving is about.

• The Darrener
      2 weeks agoReport

Seven hundred men, women and children - all murdered 
       it sounds like a story from the bible

No. I thank everyone involved in the process which led to having clean, healthy food at my table. God didn't do it. 

• sarah

No it is a political thing to celebrate taking the land away from the Indians.

• Den B7

No. Thanksgiving Day is a national holiday to give thanks to turkeys for bringing us cans of jellied cranberry sauce.

• Yeppers that's when we give thanks to God

Pilgrims were religious folks who came to America for religious freedom

• daylily61
      2 weeks agoReport

Except that the first pilgrims landed in Cape Cod, Massachusetts in 1613, 7 years after the first permanent English colony in Jamestown, VA--and 35 years PRIOR to Cromwell.

• yesmar

For me?  Yes.  For you, it can be whatever you want it to be for.

Source(s): Jesus follower

The name tells you it started as a religious observation thanking God for the harvest.