Gonzo
Lv 5

Is it safe to buy an external hard drive from Amazon?

There is a deal now for a 5Tb WD external hard drive for $120. If it doesn't work do i just mail it back for a refund?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • CD
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I've had good luck with Amazon and WD hard drives, so should you.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'd pay a few $ more to buy local where you can see that the box is sealed.  BUT you'd want to be certain of return policy before you buy.

• 2 months ago

you bought a lemon

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Prob not I bought one from ebay and it was a scam

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes, as long as you buy from Amazon and not a third party seller that sells through Amazon. I bought a 4 TB external Seagate drive for $120 a few years ago through Amazon and it works fine. No issues at all. Amazon has a generous return policy so returning items is very easy.

• 2 months ago

see amazon policies on the site for the item.

• 2 months ago

get an ext hard drive from your local computer store instead.

• 2 months ago

Amazon has two ways of selling items.  One is that Amazon itself sells the item.  They have it in their warehouse and they package and ship it to you.  Their return policy is very good and stand behind the items they sell.

Amazon also works as an agent to sell items for other vendors.  My wife worked for a book publisher and they listed their books on Amazon.  But Amazon did not have have any copies of their books, not did they ship them or warranty them.  They passed any orders on to my wife who then shipped the item (in an Amazon box.)  If there were issues with the item, it was the company my wife worked for that handled any refunds or returns of the items, not Amazon.

You will need to read over the listing and see whether it is Amazon that is selling the item, or if they are acting as agent for someone else.  If they are an agent, then that "someone else" is the one who will decide about any returns or refunds.  (But since Amazon wants to preserve its reputation they will usually bring pressure on the vendor to make things right.)

The price you have listed is average for a drive that is intended as a "back up" drive.  Meaning that you will be storing "backups" and data on it.  Not that you will be running programs from it.  You may find it on the slow side for running games from it.

If you do not want to deal with Amazon, you will probably be able to find the same item in the same price range locally if you look around.  Often a local "mom and pop" computer shop is better then the name brand retails (and often prove better service.)

But if you purchase it from Amazon and have issues with it "immediately", Amazon is good about refunds and exchanges.  Their reputation is worth more than the profit on a single hard drive.

• 2 months ago

The price is about right for a back-up drive. If you want to play video games direct from the drive, you need a faster one.

• 2 months ago

Sounds like a good price

Hard drives always come with warranty if there any hardware issues.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.