Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

Breakfast ideas for teens?

No eggs, no nuts, no dairy. I’d like to get my teens off the sugary cereal or frozen waffles and have them eat better breakfasts. Sadly we have eggs, nuts and dairy allergies so that makes it hard. Any ideas? 

• edward

Dairy allergy or lactose intolerant? Because there’s a big difference and preventative measures for the effects of the latter. When i go to the Philippines i get the same thing for breakfast every single day. Taho and Pandisal. I buy them fresh so they’re warm. Taho is a warm drink normally consumed in the morning (the time when you can purchase them on the street) and it’s brown sugar water with tofu and tapioca pearls, served as a drink with stuff in it, also served with a spoon, the brown sugar just gives it the colour but you can use natural sugar if you want. And pandisal...is bread. A bun, i suppose is the simplest way to put it. Which is another idea. Toast with peanut butter or jam.

I'd recommend things like Cheerios or oatmeal with fruit inside ( for this though I'd recommend using soy milk since it tastes the same as regular milk), a bagel or toast with fruit alongside of it, or some smoothies made with soy or coconut milk. I'd also recommend finding cook books for people who have food allergies.

Source(s): Good luck
  • Edna

How about oatmeal or pancakes?  Not frozen pancakes - pancakes made from a mix. Neither of those call for eggs, nuts, or dairy. 

• Edna

Oatmeal & pancakes ARE good for you. They're hot; they're nutritionist & filling & they're easy to prepare. If oatmeal wasn't good for you, it wouldn't be served to patients in hospitals, would it?

You need to be dealing with a professional dietician.

porridge / oatmeal is an excellent breakfast - cook with water / soya type mill and top with fruit

and cereals do NOT have to be sugary - chose wholegrain ones with no added sugar

Toast - using proper bread - not supermarket bread in a plastic bag - top with bananas or no added sugar peanut butter

I sometimes eat leftovers for breakfast. Or i will make a small salad with a hamburger patty on it and all the fixings like onion, tomato pickles, mayo. I also like to have cold cooked golden beets in my refrigerator. They are good with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil on them + freshly grated garlic. An avocado and some meat would be good for breakfast too.

Oatmeal with fruit. 

English muffins, go good with tea or coffee.

Toast or bagels with fruit. 

Baked beans on toast. 

Homemade pancakes with baked beans and hot dogs, bacon or tofu. 

If there's only certain nut allergies but their not allergic to almonds or cashews you might be able to find almond or cashew butter they can use on their sandwiches.

I make homemade granola bars - the base is rice crispies and oatmeal with peanut butter and either honey or Karo syrup. 

I add in flax, sunflower kernels, etc. 

Lots of recipes available that you can alter to fit your family's allergies  - ours are gluten free for insurance (GF rice crispies and GF oatmeal).