Ahmed asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 10 months ago

should the Chicago Sanitary and ship canal be closed permanently to keep the Asian Carp out of the Great Lakes?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

It has not been used for navigation in close to 100 years; and I am not sure whether it still even has a physical connection to Lake Michigan.

• 9 months ago

I think somewhere near Joliet, they have a high voltage zapper under the canal. Every hour i think, they activate hundreds of volts in the water to electrocute the carps. People are not allowed to swim there.

• 10 months ago

It might not be necessary to close it completely.

If possible, it would adequate to have a system of locks, one-way valves, etc., that allowed ships to travel in both directions, but only allowed water and fish to travel from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi River and prevented them from going from the river to the lakes.

Another (not very practical) option could be building a wall in the canal, or draining a short section of perhaps just a few feet, so that water and fish cannot get through (perhaps allowing water flow from the Great Lakes to the canal to keep up the water level in the canal, but not allowing water flow from the canal to the Great Lakes), and using a crane to lift ships out of the water, removing any carp stuck to the outside of the ship, and then lowering the ship into the water on the other side of the wall or the drained section. However, this option would be limited to ships that can be lifted with cranes.

A similar option that allows for a greater variety of ships, but would slow ship travel considerably, is to split the canal and build a dry dock, so that ships coming from the river sailed into the dry dock and stopped there, the water was pumped out of the dry dock back into the river, any carp were removed from the ship while it was in the dry dock, the dry dock was refilled with carp-free water from the Great Lakes, and the ship continued on its way into the lake.

• 10 months ago

That would be fine with me.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

good idea if the current barriers are not working

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

What effect will that have for shipping?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.