I need my files to open in windows not in internet explorer?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Files open where / how they do because of something called an Association.  Windows itself thinks the file you are opening should be opened with an app based on the file type.

Besides that, Windows isn't an app.  It cannot just "open" files.  It can launch them, perhaps.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

Windows is an OS, not a program.

what type of files?

• 1 month ago

If you double click on a file with .htm or .html as it's file extension (not always visible) it will  open it in Internet Explorer.

Open the program you want to use first ie Word and then open the file from there.

• Enigma
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Right click on the file and click on Open with and choose the app you want the file to open with.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Right click the file then select open as

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why not doors?

:)

Internet Explorer (IE) is a program that runs on the Windows Operating System. If a file opens in IE, it is opening because Windows allowed it and because that is what you told the computer to do.

I suspect the file is a webpage so by default, it opens in a web browser like IE. I suspect further that you downloaded a file you thought was something else but instead, you got an HTML file that either contained an error message or was meant to trick you into doing something (sinister).

Don't go back and download it again. No use. It's an unsafe site. Don't go there ever again. Reboot the computer now then open IE and clear the history and erase all cookies then run you anti-virus just to be sure nothing came along with that dummy file you downloaded.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Windows does not open files.  Windows is your operating System.

You need an application/program installed on Windows to open files.

Then it depends on what type of files your talking about.

What is the File Extension of the files your trying to open??   PDF??  DOC??

DOCX???

• Dave
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'm going to assume you means PDF's, and I'll also assume you haven't installed a program like Abobe Acrobat reader. That would be why, OR your default program somehow got changed, but that's much more unlikely.

You need to provide more details to get any realistic help. Exactly what type of file is opening in IE?

• 1 month ago

What kind of files? Windows itself does not open files, it provides the environment for programs to run which they then open files. The file extension is usually what controls what program opens the desired file. Newbies or unskilled operators often **** up these associations. Find someone that can help you fix these.

• 1 month ago

That doesn't make sense. What files are you talking about? Windows itself doesn't open your files, but rather the program associated with that file extension.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.