Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

If I format my vera encrypted flash drive, will the data that once were encrypted be accessible?

accessible for recovery*

• keerok

Not familiar with vera but I guess that if you mounted it first before formatting then there is a chance of recovery since the encryption metadata shouldn't have been touched. In this case, the data should be visible since it is treated as a mounted drive.

If formatting was done without mounting the drive first then there's no way to recover anything since the encryption code wouldn't be recovered at all.

• Dick

The "Format" command does not erase anything. It only identifies that data that you "deleted" as being okay to write new data over it. You actually have to use a program to write 1's and 0's over the data that is there. A FREE on that does a good job is ccleaner. You can download it at download.com or do a search for it. Just look for the "Tools" icon on the left hand side of the screen and do a "disk wipe" or an "available space" wipe. Hope this helps!