Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 8 months ago

Is your external hard ok if it's still plugged in the USB port on your computer while you restart or shut down your computer?

I have a windows 10 gaming pc and I ran out of space in my internal hard drives and ssd so I had to install some games in my 3 terabyte wd external hard drive.  I was wondering, can I still have my external hard drive plugged in the USB and still not damage the hard drive if I restart or shut down the computer or should I remove hardware in the system tray first and than unplug the USB before shutting down or restarting the computer?  I just didn't want to keep unplugging and plugging the USB, that's kind of annoying.

Typo, external hard drive

• Dick

In essence, it's no different than having a 2nd hard drive installed in the computer. The only thing that happens in boot up is that it receives power and the bios and OS will recognize it and include it in the list of drives. Not to worry you're just fine doing that.

• Lv 7

it's fine, but strongly recommended NOT to use external drives for programs. it can cause unexplainable problems to arise...

• keerok

I accidentally leave it plugged for days. Seems no problem so far.

You don't need to unplug anything from the computer when you reboot or restart.