Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

What happens when you cash a check for a stranger?

Tonight a girl came up to me and said shed give me one hundred dollars to cash her paycheck. The check was for five hundred dollars. I cashed it using the US bank atm, she took the money and gave me a hundred. I feel a bit worried now that the check will bounce or that I was a victim of a scam. PLEASE HELP! If anyone knows what will happen or what i can do to fix this please let me know.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I would never ever cash a check for anybody unless I could run the check through the ChexSystems machine there is a machine that checks to see if there is funds in the bank and if there is money in the Bank it immediately deducts it.

• John H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Talk to your bank. Be prepared to be out the money you gave her. Good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There is no fixing this.  You got scammed.

• 1 month ago

It was a scam, and you can't fix it. What happens now is that when (not if) it bounces, you owe the bank $500, and if it was forged or stolen, then you may get arrested.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Well that's money you are never going see again. SO she gave YOU 100.00 of your own money? So, you just lost $400.00 to a stranger. When that 'check' bounces because it is fake, you will certainly learn your lesson.

• 1 month ago

NOTHING, because I KNOW the check is fake and don't cash it.

If YOU cash a check for a stranger, the bank takes the funds back from your account when it bounces and you lose the money.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You're screwed. Whatever were you thinking?

• 1 month ago

Your bank will want the $500 back after the check bounces (and it will come back as a fake check), plus $35-$200 in fees.

If you are lucky no one will press charges against you for bank fraud.

• 1 month ago

Check will bounce you'll be out $400 plus bank fees 

• 1 month ago

I can hear alarm bells..good luck.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.