Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

What happens when you cash a check for a stranger?

Tonight a girl came up to me and said shed give me one hundred dollars to cash her paycheck. The check was for five hundred dollars. I cashed it using the US bank atm, she took the money and gave me a hundred. I feel a bit worried now that the check will bounce or that I was a victim of a scam. PLEASE HELP! If anyone knows what will happen or what i can do to fix this please let me know.

I would never ever cash a check for anybody unless I could run the check through the ChexSystems machine there is a machine that checks to see if there is funds in the bank and if there is money in the Bank it immediately deducts it.

• John H

Talk to your bank. Be prepared to be out the money you gave her. Good luck.

There is no fixing this.  You got scammed.

It was a scam, and you can't fix it. What happens now is that when (not if) it bounces, you owe the bank $500, and if it was forged or stolen, then you may get arrested.

Well that's money you are never going see again. SO she gave YOU 100.00 of your own money? So, you just lost $400.00 to a stranger. When that 'check' bounces because it is fake, you will certainly learn your lesson.

NOTHING, because I KNOW the check is fake and don't cash it.

If YOU cash a check for a stranger, the bank takes the funds back from your account when it bounces and you lose the money.

• audrey

You're screwed. Whatever were you thinking?

Your bank will want the $500 back after the check bounces (and it will come back as a fake check), plus $35-$200 in fees.

If you are lucky no one will press charges against you for bank fraud.

Check will bounce you'll be out $400 plus bank fees 

I can hear alarm bells..good luck.