Does the Bible condemn the teachings of an afterlife?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Throughout the Bible there are teachings about the afterlife and what we have to look forward to. The Bible answers many questions about the afterlife whether you follow God or reject God.

2 Corinthians 5:8 “We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.”

Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.”

• Paul
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Obviously not, since that is where most of our knowledge of the afterlife comes from.

• 8 months ago

Certainly not. It confirms the afterlife.

• David
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Why would it condemn something it teaches????

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Since its ancient superstition it doesn't matter.

• User
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Of course not.

To the contrary: the Bible is emphatic and repetitive about the existence of an afterlife.

• No!

The sacred Bible anticipates condemnation here on earth, for anyone who does not practice God's laws!

Since you asked this question, what religion are you?

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

The Bible contradicts itself often. The book of Maccabees (c.175 BC) is clear that even though they may be tortured for their faith now, they will be sent to heaven afterward. But this is a more recent writing. Earlier it suggests that death is the end, or that souls, all souls whether good or bad are sent to the underworld, even the prophet Samuel in the book of Samuel (written c. 600 BC). And then the book of Ecclesiastes gives us this: 

"Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return.  Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth? So I saw nothing better than for everyone to enjoy their work." - 3:19-22 (c. 300 BC)

• 8 months ago

My family is mostly Catholic, and Catholicism teaches that you're judged and can end up in Heaven immediately after death. On this site though, I've seen another school of thought that judgement hasn't happened yet. That you're judged on judgement day and until that day comes, no one is in Heaven. And I'm aware even beyond that that some take eternal life a bit more literally to mean that the kingdom of Heaven will be an actual physical thing here on Earth in which there is no death.

I'm not actually a believer, and there are probably even more traditions I'm not aware of. But so far, I haven't seen any form of Christianity that holds that death as we know it is the end. Even if there are different ways of viewing what death actually is and what happens after.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

The Bible tells us about the afterlife.  Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.