Is my ear infected and what’s the best way to treat it?

I got my ear lobes pierced for the first time in July and I haven’t taken them out because there’s something wrong with one of them. In August I felt that one of my earrings were too loose so I tightened it myself but I think I’ve tightened it too much. Around November that ear started swelling and there was a red bump on the back very close to the piercing. Eventually is started oozing  whitish yellow pus. My mom cleaned it with a q tip and apple cider vinegar (not distilled). After I felt very sick and dizzy and like I may pass out. It went away after 5 minutes. Since then my mother has been cleaning my ear with non distilled apple cider vinegar about twice a day. If I went more than two days without it then my ear got noticeably worse. Last Saturday I went to where I got it pierced and had them check it. He replaced the post with a longer one and told me that it may not be an infection but just a reaction. Although he said that if I do think that it’s an infection then I should go to the doctors. I do have a check up this month so I’ll get his opinion when I go. He says that I should clean my ears with water while showering and put tea bags on them 2-3 times a day. He also says that I shouldn’t go to sleep with wet hair because it’s putting pressure on the back of my ear. I told my mom this and she says that we can try it but they’re full of it because the apple cider was working and she know more than some guy that shot my ear (he used a needle) I’m not sure what to do..

Favorite Answer

Do not use hydrogen peroxide like Mark says, it's far too harsh. Do not put tea bags on it either or sleep with wet hair of use apple cider vinegar, all these remedies are doing more harm than good. See your G.P, you may need antibiotics,  don't wait until your check up, please see them A.S.A.P.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.

Doctor..............

If you think it’s infected, see the doctor immediately. Puss coming out is not a good sign. If it’s red and it hurts when you touch it, it’s not a good sign.

• Mark

Try hydrogen peroxide. If you don't see an improvement within a week, go to your physician.