How to protest your property taxes at the best way?

7 Answers

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    Each area has its own procedures. Generally consists of gathering info on what comparable houses in the area are assessed at and have recently sold for. Then if yours is assessed higher, you appeal the assessment and get a hearing where you present the info you gathered.

  • 8 months ago

    Have authoritative documentation to show that your property is not worth what it is being assessed for.

  • 8 months ago

    How to Dispute an Unfair Property Tax Bill

    Check your property record. Go to the tax assessor's office and check your property record. ...

    Prepare to file a tax grievance. ...

    Gather information about your neighborhood. ...

    File the tax grievance. ...

    Prepare to contest, if your grievance is denied.

    How to Dispute an Unfair Property Tax Bill - dummies › test-prep › real-estate-license › how-to-dispute-...

  • 8 months ago

    Look up the county tax assessor's website and search for information about the appeal process. In most cases its a simple form - tell them the address, what you think the house is worth, and how you determined that value.

    You don't have to do a full appraisal, but you do have to be objective and scientific about the value.

    The assessor will review your appeal and if they agree they'll adjust your value.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    Do you mean you are disputing the county's valuation of the property upon which the tax is calculated?  If yes, you can appeal the valuation.   Your county tax assessor's website should have information regarding this process.

    When you go before the board you can't just say, "You guys are nuts".   It will help immensely if you go prepared with concrete evidence such as comparable sales, photos of your own property, a CMA from a realtor and/or a recent appraisal. 

  • 8 months ago

    Your assessor should have an appeal process posted at their website.

  • 8 months ago

    File an appeal at the assessors office in your town.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.