Infected tattoo?

I asked about this tattoo already and have a picture of it from about 2 days ago , but so noticed that a part of the tattoo looks like there’s a gash and looks like raw skin and I was just wondering if it’s infected or not? Some people said that it wasn’t but I’m still nervous that it is. I’ve had it for about 5 days now. It also stings when I move my arm but it’s right where my inner elbow creases 

How should I go about helping this heal? This is my 16th tattoo and this has never happened to me before.

• Laura
    Favorite Answer

In your other tattoos, do you have this much red in one area?  If you do is it the same shade of red from the same brand? 

Red is one of the colors that causes the most allergic reactions.  You might be having an allergic reaction to the ink. 

I would continue to keep this clean and moisturized.  The other colors look fine so I don't think it is infected.  If it doesn't feel better in a few days I would go to your doctor just to be sure.  You might also consider using an antibiotic cream instead of other types of ointment like aquaphor.  This will help deal with any low level infection and can help put your mind at ease. 

• Laura

If it isn't the same brand of ink that was used in your other tattoos that could be why.  Your artist could have just chewed up the skin with the tattoo machine too.  Its also possible to develop an allergy and have issues with this one even if your others with red are ok.