Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 8 months ago

If somebody recorded you on video 5 yrs ago smoking crack and you have been sober for 4 yrs and somebody shows SSA will I lose benefits?

• Judith

Social Security could care less - even if you are currently smoking crack.  You won't lose benefits but it is possible they would appoint someone to manage your SS benefits for you by appointing someone to be your rep payee IF you show that you are incapable of managing money appropriately - meaning that necessities; e.g. housing, food & clothing aren't being met.

NOTE:  No one can receive a social security or SSI disability benefit based upon a drug or alcohol addiction alone.  If someone is a drug addict or alcoholic they are getting a disability benefit for some other reason - NOT because they do drugs or drink alcohol.

I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.

Why would that affect your benefit?  Sadly, even if you were doing crack today - that has nothing to do with collecting a benefit you paid into and qualified for.

• John H

Well, if they recorded ME on video, I don't see how YOU would lose benefits.