Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 month ago

Which of the following statements best represents the information provided above? Help ?!?

The diagram below illustrates a type of chemical bonding. You are also given; (i) the name of a type of bonding; and (ii) an explanation of a type of bonding

(i) Hydrogen bonding

(ii) Atoms are held in a tight structure and delocalized electrons travel through this structure

Which of the following statements best represents the information provided above?

A. Part (i) is the correct name for the type of bonding in the diagram. Part (ii) is the correct explanation for part (i)

B. Part (i) is the correct name for the type of bonding in the diagram. Part (ii) is not the correct explanation for part (i)

C. Part (i) is not the correct name for the type of bonding in the diagram. However part (ii) is the correct explanation for part (i)

D. Part (i) is not the correct name for the type of bonding in the diagram. Part (ii) is not the correct explanation for part (i) but it is the correct explanation for the bonding shown in the diagram

E. Part (i) is not the correct name for the type of bonding in the diagram. Part (ii) is not the correct explanation for part (i) and it is not the correct explanation for the bonding shown in the diagram either

Attachment image

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The diagram is supposed to represent "metallic bonding", but is inaccurate.  It's the antiquated "electron sea model." In a metal there are NO cations surrounded by a "sea of negative charge."  The atoms in a metal are NEUTRAL.  The electrons are still part of each atom.  The electrons are delocalized because all of the metal atoms' outermost orbitals overlap, allowing electrons to move from atom to atom, while keeping each atom neutral.

1. The diagram is old and outdated

2. It does not represent hydrogen bonding

3. The explanation is that of the old "electron sea model"

4. The source of this this question from needs some updating.

• 1 month ago

D. This is not hydrogen bonding because hydrogen bonding only exists in 3 compounds: HF, HCl, H2O. Along hydrogem bonds electrons are not spread out and rigid structures form. That also explains why part ii is not the correct explanation for part i. 

You can see that the protons are rigid and electrons have no orderly shape and can flow around the metal. This is metallic bonding explained by part ii.

• pisgahchemist
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Alan's comment on hydrogen bonding is nonsense.

Hydrogen bonding occurs in many more than three compounds.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.