When did the racial group of Jews end - Jesus was racially Jewish, wasn't he ?

Someone told me there is no such thing as " Jewish DNA- That It's a religion" ,

but I am sure Ancestry.com can test for European Jewish. What about Jewish from the Middle East ??

I did a dna test and it said I was 2 percent " Middle East"

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Judaism is NOT a race

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.

It is important to note that being a Jew has nothing to do with what you believe or what you do. A person born to non-Jewish parents who has not undergone the formal process of conversion but who believes everything that Orthodox Jews believe and observes every law and custom of Judaism is still a non-Jew, even in the eyes of the most liberal movements of Judaism, and a person born to a Jewish mother who is an atheist and never practices the Jewish religion is still a Jew, even in the eyes of the ultra-Orthodox. In this sense, Judaism is more like a nationality than like other religions, and being Jewish is like a citizenship. 

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Being a "Jew" by popular definition is practicing Judaism. Being Jewish is simply being a descendant of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. I am from the tribe of Simeon, and I am a Christian. So I am Jewish but I am not a "Jew" by popular definition. Yet I am a Jew according to scripture:

Rom 2:28-29 For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Jews are a race and religion. Judaism includes tribal lineage. 

Judaism allows converts although are very rare. Unfortunately many Jews have intermarried and many of their children or grandchildren would not be considered Jewish by Traditional Judaism. Conversion is rare and very hard. It has become a little easier today but centuries ago it was unheard of and rabbis didn't want to do it. Of course there were exceptions to the rule.

IF someone goes through an Orthodox Jewish conversion and remains observant  in the Jewish community they are considered Jewish. If they do not, their Jewish status is in doubt. No matter how long they have been practicing the religion. If they stop and convert to another religion, or stop taking Judaism seriously by attending all of the prayer services and observing the Sabbath it is presumed they were never serious when they converted and they don't have a Jewish soul. Conversion is an experiment to see if you can hack it. If you really have a Jewish soul you won't fry out. The mission of a convert is different to born Jews. There is a story about the Rebbe B"H who ruled a woman's conversion was invalid after 10 years because she refused to listen to her rabbi on a rabbinic commandment. She just refused and sent the Rebbe a letter. 

Really...conversion should be closed except for exceptional individuals who will give up their time, resources and life to serve God. Judaism is a train. If you get on the train you can't get off until you reach your destination. There is no stopping and starting for the convert. It's the full 9 yards and than some. The Jewish community for this reason argues with each other on who converts are kosher and who are not. Converts are Jewish if they are Orthodox but the question is - do these converts have Jewish souls or not? This can have halachik implications explained my rabbi. A woman can be decided she is not Jewish and her children illegitimate. What matters is not what other groups say but what your community in which who belong too says. If you are Chabad you have to satisfy Chabad's criteria for converts. If Sephardic than satisfy their requirements to be accepted as part of the community. If they don't reject you everyone considers you Jewish. BUT a convert from chabad might not be accepted by Satmar and therefore will not want their converts to marry their men and women as a precaution. 

If however that convert will adopt all of the practices of Satmar and fulfill their criteria they will allow that convert to marry among them. Note: They do not require him or her to convert all over again. The Syrian Sephardic Jewish community currently does not do conversions. They recognize converts to other sects as Jewish but would not allow any member of their community to marry a convert. This was to prevent assimilation and to protect their offspring from being illegitimate according to Jewish law. Unless you are fully committed to Judaism you will ALWAYS have rabbis who think this convert or that convert isn't actually Jewish after doing their conversion. There is a stigma in the Jewish community to marry converts. However as long as the rabbinic court does not pronounce their conversion invalid they can't be presumed illegitimate. There are those who are extremely religious and would not consider such a convert as Jewish even if the Jewish Court said nothing against them if he believes that person isn't fully immersed in Judaism. Hence would not consent for their children to marry a convert or themselves marry a convert unless they were fully convinced. Some don't take the risk.

There are a lot of people today who are not actually Jewish by Jewish law. In reality few people converted in Jewish history unless they were considered sincere. In the past Jews lived in ghettos and couldn't just leave their communities. The convert was always supervised. Many rabbis have debated whether conversions should continue anymore, except for the 1 in a billion. 

Most Jews have Jewish ancestry. Jewish DNA does exist. Anyone he denies it is a liar. I don't care about JC. 

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
  • 8 months ago

the Jews were taught they were superior to gentiles and heathen. so of course there was racism among the different sects of Israelites. what is more evidence as written about the conversation with the woman at the well. there was argument between Jewish disciples of Jesus, and there was division among the greeks as well, and by the time Arius was debating Jesus, he taught against the ideas that became the christian creed of the trinity. its all "wrong" Jesus said if you are not one, you are not mine... and yet if the whole congregation is not one in Christ how can one man Who is one in Christ be the one that IS NOT THE ONE in Christ.? hmmmm.???

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

If a Chinese woman converts to Judaism then she'll be Jewish.  If she marries a black man and they have a child, the child will be considered Jewish by the Jewish community -- even if the child, as an adult, doesn't practice Judaism -- as long as the child doesn't convert to another religion.

So, to be clear, the child is Jewish even though he or she wouldn't have anything that someone might call Jewish DNA, and also they might not adhere to the religion.

So, that's what it means when someone says there is no Jewish DNA.

That does NOT mean that labs can't find markers from the Middle East in *most* Jews today.

Jewishness from the mother is based on the idea that a Jewish mother makes a Jewish home.  It isn't her DNA that is the determining factor.

• 8 months ago

They're not a race. They're a culture and people can choose to become one such as Chinese Jews:

Attachment image
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Jewish is a religion and ethnicity (cultural), but not a race. Race is physical characteristics and is considered obsolete by many scientists. DNA is biological structure. Jesus was Jewish because his mother Mary was Jewish and he was a practicing Jew, albeit a bit rebellious. There are some statistically common genetics because an ethnic trait of Judaism includes marrying within the religion or ethnicity.

DNA identification is seeking geographic commonality.

"Jewish DNA" is generally about inherited diseases more common in a Jewish ethnic, like Taysach's (not sure of spelling).

• 8 months ago

I don't know. Hitler certainly thought Jew was a race.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Why is everybody suddenly so worried about ethnic Jews? Normal people aren't threatened by this stuff.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.