Why is it so offensive to noun an adjective? Like Straights, Whites, Conservatives, Males, and Transgenders? ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

it is not offensive.

• It’s simply grammatically incorrect

• 1 month ago

The act of nouning an adjective isn't offensive - but reducing someone to a single trait (i.e. sexual orientation, gender, race, etc.) is.

• Peter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The odd thing is, I don't mind being called 'straight', yet those that call me straight take offence when I call them bent. Is seems that bent folk have an issue with labels.

• Tyler
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

its because youre being a tool

WHY do you not have sentience, this is so sad

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Because it reduces someone's identity to that attribute alone.

• Tyler
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

it comes off as somewhat dehumanizing and puts people into boxes

• 1 month ago

Because it implies that everyone in that group has the exact same characteristics (beliefs, dislikes, desires, faults, etc). It also has the same negative vibe as a nurse referring to "the hysterectomy in Room 105," as a condition rather than as a person.

• "Why is it so offensive to noun an adjective? Like Straights, Whites, Conservatives and Transgenders?"

It marginalizes people as "other", For example, in the case of transgender/transsexual people you're refusing to acknowledge their gender identity and instead you are othering them as "other".

Instead of "transgenders"

Say "trans women", "trans men" or "trans people" and use the appropriate pronouns.

A graphic that may help:

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It stems from the disabled community, representing both physical and mental disabilities. When people noun the adjective that identifies their condition, they become that condition and only that condition to others.

The whole idea behind using it solely as an adjective is that all these identifiable groups are people first, and some may be transgendered, or gay, or mentally retarded, or suffer a crippling illness.

Using the adjective as a noun groups them into a mass with one main characteristic, when of course we are all unique individuals.

• 1 month ago

A word can't BE offensive, unless you take offense at it.

• Sasha Whitefur
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Think of where it's coming from.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.