Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 months ago

If you could add an exception to the first amendment, what would it be and why?

The 1st Amendment guarantees 5 basic freedoms--religion, speech, press, assembly, petition. ALL of these have implicit exceptions, but in our day and age we could wish the exceptions were more explicit.

Freedom of Religion, for instance, should have made it clear that ALL religions enjoy this freedom, not just YOUR religion.  (Some) Christians seem to think that excluding other religions is part of their freedom of religion.

But I think most important we should have spelled out the exceptions to Freedom of Speech.  There are several whole categories of speech that are not protected.  Fraud, for instance.  Slander and libel.  'Fighting words' and 'hate speech', both of which have specific legal definitions.  In the Age of Trump, a lot of people are pushing against these limits.

Congress should pass a law called the Freedom of Speech Exception Explanation Act.  Or better yet, a constitutional amendment.

For me, I would add the following exception:

If you pay less than $5,000 in income taxes, you shall not be allowed to vote, as you do not sufficiently understand or appreciate the sacrifice made by the Taxpayers or the consequences of spending the revenue that their blood and sweat procured. Whosoever pays less than $5,000 in income taxes is not educated enough to be able to vote.

Public people lying. People should be able to sue for it. This would reign in the Left.

The one requisition to free speech I would add is "You don't talk about free speech."

All speech is free, except for people who talk about free speech.

I wouldn't. You can make changes, but once you start making "exceptions", then might as well through the whole Document out.

No, you either have freedom of speech or you don't there is no in between.

It seems fine to me.