Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 8 months ago

Is not liking your manager a bad reason to leave a company in your opinion?

I honestly feel like I like everyone at my company besides my manager. I even like the manager above my manager.  The manager above my manager acts very friendly towards me.

Do you have any tips or suggestions? 

Sometimes. If you can transfer to a position with a different manager in the company, that would better, and there's no reason to leave. But if keeping the same manager is the only way to stay in the company, then it's not a bad reason.

Not liking a manager is an ok reason to leave a job.   You can leave a job for whatever reason you wish.

That being said, life is full of people we don't "like" whether they are managers, in-laws, neighbors, etc.  Being able to get along with people we don't like is a pretty useful life skill.  

No most people leave for that reason

• Judy

Would be a bad reason. He or she might not be your manager forever.

no its not a specific reason to leave a company.

• David

It might surprise you learn that not liking your manager is the #1 reason people quit their jobs.  Generally speaking, people don't leave companies...they leave direct managers.  For any organization that has a high turnover rate, you have to look at what department loses people most often.  Whoever is the head of that department really needs to be asked (politely) to resign (instead of being fired).  Bad managers are bad for the company, and the company's investors.  

Is it a bad reason to leave a job, if you have a bad manager?  It depends on how much bad stress the situation is causing you.  Nothing is more important than you health, remember.

In my experience, which is considerable, all bosses are the same. 

I have outlasted several managers. Some were good, some were mediocre and a few were very bad. It was tough, but eventually, the higher ups caught on that the manager was incompetent-- they left and I stayed. 

I think not liking your manager is a bad reason to leave a company, because it's too general. It depends on why you don't like your manager. If you just don't like your manager just because, the problem might be in the mirror. If they're being abusive or openly disrespectful, that's another story.

If you want to get along with this person figure out what makes them tick. Everybody has a different personality profile. Sometimes relationships are bad until somebody figures it out. I heard a great line one time. "Give them what they want and they'll give you what you need."