When in-laws come to visit do you think they should stay at our home or book a hotel/house nearby?

The in-laws live approx. three hours from us driving distance.

NO ONE... I REPEAT... NO ONE stays in my house except for me and my wife. 

You wanna visit that fine but leave at night. I do not want any kin folks hanging around and munchin of me. EVEN MY KIDS... visit then leave.

I am not running a hotel, or a B&B. Visit say your gossip and leave.

I am speaking for myself....if I had the guest accommodations  (a bedroom AND bathroom) and if it was a visit for no longer than a week, I would welcome house guests.  

• PAMELA

That is for you and your husband to work out!

So you despise your in laws, heh?  Is it going to disrupt their budget to have to go to a motel room?  Do you stay with them when visiting?  There is no yes or no from us you know how much you hate them and will cause a scene as opposed to not even spending time with them at your home.

• mom

if they are just staying for a visit, you should make room for them. I am sure when you visit them, they always make you feel at home. 

One consideration I don't see mentioned is available space.

Is there ROOM in your home?

Are there other accommodations available in the area?

• Bruce

If you go to the inlaws and stay there, it seems letting them stay with you is appropriate. If they make you get a hotel, then you could make the same request from them.

Why shouldn't they remember your relatives are your spouses in laws so it goes both ways

Mine are dead thankfully! They can't stay anywhere besides where they are...

Depends if you like them or not, how long will they be staying, do you have room, can they afford to stay at a hotel, etc.