Jace asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 9 months ago

Why is the Midwest in the USA still called the Midwest?

I understand that it is called the Midwest because it was considered that in the early makings of America but why is it still called that when it's on the eastern side and not the western? It's a really confusing thing to call it.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

The Midwest is a region of the United States of America known as "America's Heartland".  It occupies the northern central part of the United States.

• 9 months ago

Because it's west of the Mississippi River, the second longest river in North America and the one that runs closest to a midway longitude. But it's also separated from the west coast by the Rocky Mountains, making it still west, but also still in the middle of the continent. Hence Midwest.

There are five northwestern states: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska.

There are seven Rocky Mountain states: Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico.

There are 15 Midwestern states: Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana.

I live in the state that has the distinction of being part of all three of these regions.

• 9 months ago

I think the true west is west of the Rocky mountains. So therefore, places east are considered mid-west. I'm no expert, however. That's just my opinion.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

wrong forum.  belongs in geography

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Biologically and climatologically, the USA is divided into East and West at about the 100th meridian - - in the Midwest.

• 9 months ago

Why are the northeastern states called New England when it is really Old USA

• 9 months ago

Picture the Earth with the North Pole up.  You are looking down on London.  To the right is the "East", and to the left is the "West".  Looking around the Earth to the left you get to the US coast.  This is the 'near west'.  Continue on all the way to California - that is the 'far west'.  Halfway in between are states like Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.  That is the "Midwest". 

Oh, and going the other way from London places like Israel, Iraq, Iran, etc are the "Mideast", and places like Japan are the "Far east". 

• danxp2
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Names stick around because they have meaning beyond just the letters. The midwest is still the midwest for the same reason the Big 10 is still the Big 10 even thought there are 14 teams in it. 

Their is a history, an emotional relationship, and well known understanding/stereotype of what the Midwest is. 

If you re name it to something else it would take generations for this new name to have the same impact. Also people generally believe they have better things to do with their time then fix these things. Names generally only change if their is a domestic revolution, or a foreign invasion. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.