My windows won't work on my computer, do I need a graphics card? ?

Hi, I made a custom build pc everything is new (except the graphics card). It worked great for 2 months, and then I got an error dialogue box saying there was a driver issue with the graphics card and then I got a permanent black and there-after when I turn it on. 

I assumed it was some sort of driver issue given the error box, however I reinstalled windows in a clean boot. And then after 5 minutes the same thing happened. 

Before I purchase a new graphics card do we think it's due to this? Or maybe something else? Thanks for any help.

*permanent black screen. Also it does boot the bios, which is how I reinstalled windows.  

• David
    Favorite Answer

I would update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version,  occasionally an outdated BIOS can cause black screens

Also details of the motherboard, PSU, which windows version and which graphics card would also help. Check the PCI-e connectors are plugged in and the PSU is adequate for the graphics card

• Who

NEVER update the BIOS unless you REALLY know what you are doing

ITs EXTREMELY unlikely this would EVER cause any problems you have

since its all new and virtually EVERY motherboard already has built in graphics

you ALWAYS use this until you have a 100% working computer that boots to the OS

what you DONT do is fit a new graphics card from the very start

ONCE you got a working computer THEN you start to upgrade

cos you CANNOT install a driver for your new graphics card UNTIL you got a computer that boots into the OS

SInce you reinstalled from scratch it CANT do that whilever you got the new graphics card fitted

TAKE IT OUT , and use the built in graphics THEN install the driver for the new gaphics card

(I despair the number of amateurs there are on YA)

Check your HDD . I think the HDD has an issue.

• Andy T

Buying a new card sounds good idea, it's old component anyway.

• keerok

If you can see the BIOS at boot-up then the card works. It is still a driver issue. Try holding F8 down while you boot to go to Safe mode. If the computer and monitor successfully boots to safe mode, you only have to modify the display resolution. Try a lower setting.

If you see absolutely nothing at all during boot time, then there's a hardware issue somewhere. The best thing to go about this is to swap parts with a known working and compatible computer. You start with the graphics card. Better yet, if your motherboard has a built-in graphics unit then use that first. If it works then at least you don't need a new GPU for the time being.

Try running your PC with no graphics card and see if it works

• David

this assumes he has onboard graphics - many AMD CPU don't have a onboard graphics

no you need to new window again