Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 2 months ago

Why don't more rich people give to panhanders?

I never give to them because broke, I've never even owned a computer. I'm on a mobile phone right now my dad pays for we get a cheap family contract or something, but every time I see a panhandler in the gold Coast of chicago I can't help but wonder why do these people act like they have no empathy for them at all

The rich get tired of getting hit up for money at every turn.

Also not a Travel question. Polls is THAT way.---->

Because the city would find the way to tax it. 

One reason is a poor person can empathize much more easily with the poor than a rich person can.

It is very easy for a wealthy person to feel entitled and feel they got themselves into the situation of having a full bank account and the homeless bum on the street obviously isn't trying hard enough. 

Because it’s not wise to give money to someone you don’t know. Panhandlers often don’t really need the money for food/shelter and are pulling a scam.

• DEBS

Often people don't carry cash or at least small enough bills/change. I can also tell you from experience that I have a huge mistrust for most panhandlers/beggars. So many are just flat our liars who refuse to even look for a job because they make so much money begging. Try giving them food and they'll take it out of courtesy but toss it after you leave. Unfortunately, it's a real thing that some corners are worked out in shifts where beggars park their nice cars around the corner. Also, when you walk by day after day after day, you have to question how much and how often it makes sense to give. You see people walk by, but maybe they just gave to someone a few blocks back.

1. Giving to homeless individuals does not help resolve the homeless crisis.

2. Many panhandlers earn a few $100 a day, all tax free.  How much farther does your income go if you aren't paying taxes on it.

3. Do you know how often people are bombarded with panhandlers?  I would have to be one if I don't to each one I saw.

• A Hunch

I live in a state with more homeless than any other state & very aware of the homeless situation in my own neighborhood.  It doesn't take long to get $100... Also, I work with many large employers - how come EVERY TIME I ask if the person would like a job, they say "no".  No one has ever accepted

Cuz 90% of them are drugg addicts