Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 2 months ago

Microwave exploded??

So I tried to melt butter in the microwave, which I had done before. I set it for 20 seconds, and suddenly the things starts making an awful noise and I see sparks. When I checks the damage inside Insee that the side actually exploded, and there was smoke. Obviously it’s going in the trash.

 The bowl I was using wasnt marked microwave safe but in the years of owning the microwave I had never had a problem with it. I didn’t use it often but when I did I was for over a minute and nothing. I am too paranoid to do this again.

Can someone help me understand what happened? 

It was a tiny bit of butter, maybe it wasn’t enough? The bowl? Or maybe the microwave itself?

Might not be the smartest question, but I want to make sure I don’t accidentally mess up my next microwave. Thanks for any answers.

33 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

    Have A Funeral. For Burial, Dig A 4 Foot Deep 3 Foot Wide Hole In Your Back Garden. Chuck A Flower In The Exploded Microwave And Sing A Hymn. Then Bury It.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • susan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    What an unpleasant surprise!

    If the dish you used contains metal, then I'd blame the dish. If the dish has no metal, then I'd blame the microwave. If you have nothing to explain it, I suggest you choose a different brand when you buy your next microwave.

    • Vaman
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

      All microwave ovens use water resonant frequency. If some one put some thing which has no water, then it will not work. I do not remember. Kjystron work on the principle of traveling wave ampllifier. So metal reflecte by metals will inrease the amplification to the limit of the break down.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    If your ceramic bowl has a silver or gold decoration then it is not safe for a microwave oven.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    So what is your question?

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    BTW, we put metal in microwaves immersed in water all the time. As long as the waves can't get to it there is no harm done. We do this to heat epoxy glues for dissassembly. Yes, it works just fine. So it wasn't foil in the butter and it wouldn't explode anyway.

    • ...Show all comments
    • Vaman
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

      Your metal was inside the water. That is fine. Because water absorbs all the microwave. None is reflected back.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    It might have been one of trumps missiles... watch out WWIII

    • Big Mouth
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

      The "war on microwave ovens" has begun!!

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    You aren't suppose to use metal in a microwave oven

    • Maximilian2 months agoReport

      Wrong, metal can be OK. Fraunhofer Institute Report below.
      https://www.apeal.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Microwaveability-Full-report.pdf

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    you cannot put aluminum foil or plates made of metal or plastic into a microwave.... I think you did one of those......  some products although it says microwave safe is not recommended for microwave use.   I would just use some regular bowl for microwave use. 

    • Maximilian2 months agoReport

      Wrong, metal can be OK. Fraunhofer Institute Report below.
      https://www.apeal.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Microwaveability-Full-report.pdf

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Our last microwave never did that. But our current one always sparks and makes a terrifying sound while it sparks. The microwave is 1100 watts. We have stopped warming it in the microwave if it’s only butter. We always use a a glass bowl.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

    probably the 20 seconds was too much and the butter melted then vaporized, creating a mini explosion. The 1000 watts the microwave oven put out was too much for the tiny bit

    this you can check by heating some water to see if the microwave oven is still functional.

    next time put a glass of water in the microwave oven also to slow down the energy applied to the butter.

    • ...Show all comments
    • billrussell42
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

      the text of the answer implies that the microwave oven itself didn't explode but the butter did.  but statements like "When I checks the damage inside Insee that the side actually exploded, and there was smoke" are difficult to interpret.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.