My screen goes black whenever I stress my GPU?

Hey guys!

So recently I just bought a new GPU, an XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB, and whenever I stress my GPU (launch a game or run MSI Kombustor) my screen immediately goes black, it says "No signal" then the GPU fans start spinning for about 5-10 seconds and then they stop. I tried unplugging the HDMI cable from the GPU and plugging it back, but there is still no signal. I have to restart the computer every time it occurs. The interesting thing is whenever this happens, my computer is still running, the CPU and system fans are still spinning, so the computer doesn't shut down, there is just no signal on my monitor.

If you are wondering, I am using a 24 inch 1080p LG monitor, which I bought in November, so it is quite new. I never had this problem on my old GPU, and it only occurs whenever the GPU is under stress, so when the fans start spinning.

Any suggestions?

So it turns out the problem is probably power related, since when I underclocked my GPU and forced it to use less power I was able to run MSI Kombuster for 2 minutes. When the temperatures reached 55 celcius the fans started spinning and the GPU died then the computer restarted. So I am getting a better PSU now and hopefully this will fix my problem...

Problem solved !!!

My new PSU arrived and now everything works fine. 

• Lv 7

did you plug in the power cable to it? it may not be getting enough power.

how many watts you got?

• JDave1 month agoReport

Yeah, I did. There is even a blue LED light showing that it is getting power. I have a 500W PSU but I calculated and apparently my components need about 480W power, so it was my bad, and now I am getting a better PSU...

RMA the sucker. It is factory defective

• Adrian

What power supply do you have???

The RX580 requires at least a 550W name brand PSU, one with a dedicated 6 pin and dedicated 8 pin video power connector direct from the PSU.

No power adapters! If your PSU does not have the proper video power plugs, then the PSU may not be good enough for that video card, regardless of the stated power rating on the PSU itself.

• JDave1 month agoReport

The model I bought requires 1x8-pin connector and a 500W PSU. Now I have a 500W PSU and I thought it would be enough. Turns out the problem is probably power related because when I underclocked the GPU I was able to run MSI Kombustor for 20 seconds, instead of the GPU shutting down immediately...

• NONAME

try a different monitor if you can...to test..