Am I entitled to the Life Insurance money? ?

My parents got a life insurance policy back in 2003. The main beneficiary was my mom & dad. They also got a policy insurance for myself & all my siblings. We were all very young at the time. My mom passed away back in 2015 & my dad cashed the entire insurance check & refused to give a dime to my siblings & I. 

He is now married & has announced that his life insurance benefits & all properties are now being transferred to his new bride.. 

Are we entitled to some money because we are his children? 

No. You have to be specifically named somewhere to be "entitled" as an adult.

either by name or in a group such as "Herman and Floyd's children".

If you want to sue and force your side you need to convince the court of your entitlement.

Usually something like that is based on events before your eighteen such as disabilities.

Less put it this way. Just because someone you know or don't know received found bought got something, doesn't mean your entitled to any.

No for an easy two, Alex

I am not sure why you felt you should have gotten any money from your moms life insurance when she died. And if you and your siblings made it an issue to your dad, I know I would be upset. Your dad just lost his long term soulmate, and if my kids mentioned insurance money, I might think of giving what little money I have to charity, instead of my kids. First of all   the most important issue for an insurance for the elderly is to pay for the funeral, and not be a burden to our kids.   The fear is almost enough to make us sick.  Normally, if I remarried, I would leave half of what I have to my new wife, and the other half to my kids.  And of course to my kids I would leave personal items.  Understand most people 70% die with less the $50,000. 50% dies having less then $20,000 in assets, and 25% die owing money, or not having enough to pay  for a poor man funeral.    So what money are you talking about that you think you are owed.  And if you told your dad you want or expect money when your mom died, and when he dies, It would be a slap in the face and disrespect to your dad, and I would be ashamed of my kids. So if your parents had a lot of money you would still not be entitled to any money until your dad passes.  And unless your dad has a will, except for beneficiary of insurance policies, everything would go to his new wife.  If you were respectful, I would guess your dad in time, in a few months would have offered you kids any personal items of your mom's you would like. Or items your mom might have said give this to my daughter, this to my son. So were you a good son or daughter.  Did you show respect for your mother to your father. Did you allow him to grieve, his major loss of his soulmate. Or did you add to his grief and demand or say you deserve some money, from your mom's insurance. 

Sorry but his wife has first dibs on EVERYTHING including all bank accounts, all assets, all retirement funds, everything is leally hers.  She is not obligated to give you  or anybody else anything.  Sucks but it goes spouse, spouses kids, then their kids.

• L

No.  If your father wants to give you money - he can but you are entitled to nothing.

Sounds like he was the beneficiary on his wife's policy...so he gets those proceeds. 

He can simply choose to forget about you...it happens and there is no obligation for him to give you a dime.  

Sorry, sounds harsh...

• Eva

Not on a life insurance policy. The owner of the policy (your dad) can name any beneficiary he wishes. It doesn't follow the same rules as inheritance does. The only time you might be entitled to life insurance proceeds would be if the estate was named as the beneficiary. He is under no obligation to leave you anything.

Not insurance money, he can choose whoever he wants

• Judy

Why would you think YOU are entitles to money from the policies? You aren't, You are only entitled to any of his property if he wants to give it to you.

• Andy C

Nope! 100% his money. YOU didn't take out or pay into the policy and if you DID pay into it, only the beneficiary gets the money.

You only are entitled to child support IF you are <19yo.