Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 1 month ago

Is it worth putting new rocker panels on a 1997 toyota corolla or time for a new car?

The drivers side rocker panel is almost completely rotted out to the point where i can rip pieces off with my hand. Im kinda worried about my safety in a crash. Do you think it might be worth replacing the rocker panels or time to look for a new car?

• Dan B

Rocker panels are not structural members of the car's frame. They just trim out the bottom of the door frame.

• JetDoc

Definitely time for a new car! Your POS 23-year-old Toyota isn't worth the cost of repairing extensive rust damage.

Car has a unibody construction.  Remove the carpet and check if the floor is also rotted out.  If it is, junk the car.  If not, sell it or drive it until the engine or transmission quits.

• mikee86441 month agoReport

Yes the car did have a hole in the floor a few years ago that was patched by my mechanic but i haven't checked it since then i will try to check it tomorrow if the patch held up.

• Ron

Really? If the panel is rotted then so are other parts you can't see