Can I still apply to universities like UCLA?

I'm a Canadian high school student and I'd say I'm a pretty good student, I got a 1590 on my SATs and I've been getting all 90s in my junior and senior year. My freshman year was pretty good too, but I wasn't mentally okay during my sophomore year and I screwed up a little, I had 2-3 70s, but I am part of the speech, debate, and the Model UN team at school. I've been invited to many conferences across Canada for Model UN and have won awards. I've won at speech tournaments, too. I also do taekwondo, play the flute, and guitar outside school. I also started a pet shelter and plan on starting a volunteer project in the community. I've also been looking after some of my parents' pharmacies and I was really hoping that would make up for the few Bs I got in my sophomore year.

I know I can still apply but I wanted to know if it’s even worth it

Also, I know I have to pay a lot but money won’t be a problem for me. So putting all that aside, is it still worth it?

Sure.  IF UCLA is a dream school for you and you'd rather go there than to other universities that are less selective, the ONLY way to find out if you'll be admitted is to apply, right?  If you don't risk rejection, you'll regret it and always wonder whether or not you could have gone there. 

If you get in, you still don't have to attend.  If you don't get in, it still doesn't mean you aren't a great student. The things you don't know are exactly what the admissions staff might be looking for or biased towards, and how many other students who apply are very similar to you. Your SAT says you're more than capable of being at top student at any university.  Make sure you also apply to other schools.

• drip

No, it is not worth it

Cost to attend per year is way too much for an undergraduate degree. Right now cost to attend is at $65,600.  And that will go up each year you attend. And that doesn’t cover transportation to and from home. Living there over the summer or storing your stuff for the summer months.  Or the added cost of living off campus if you don’t live in the dorms all four years.

From what I read on the UCLA web site applications for the Fall 2020 school year have closed.

• Lili

If you can pay full freight, your application might have a better chance.  US state universities do accept a certain number of out-of-state (or out-of-country) applicants whose stats might not be top flight but who can pay, to offset the in-state students who pay much lower fees.

That said, whether or not you can pay (or use any Canadian loans at US schools), you should always apply to a school you really want to attend.  You never know what might attract the attention of an admissions officer, who will fight for you.  If you can be realistic about your chances, go ahead and apply, but have other, more likely schools on your list.

By the way, improvement always counts a great deal. A few Bs in your sophomore year won't matter much if your later grades are top notch.

Good luck.

yes, your application as an international, English speaking student will be welcomed. Please know that universities like UCLA have far more applicants than places for students ... it thus is wise to apply to several at same time in the hopes of being accepted to one at least. [If you get multiple acceptances, then you get to choose which to attend.]

Source(s): married to Uni professor 33 years

UCLA's application period for fall 2020 admission closed on November 30. So if you're a senior, it's too late to apply, unless you want to take a gap year. 

I can't tell you if it's "worth it"; none of us can predict whether you'll be offered admission. You seem like a good candidate but it depends a lot on your competition. 

As an international student, you'll also need to prove that you have sufficient funds to pay for university ($64,500 in 2019). And if you've got $64,500 in the bank, well, $80 bucks for your application fee doesn't seem like a lot of money to spend. 

Yes you can still apply for UCLA

I wish you the best of luck in your career.