Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 9 months ago

Was $500 too much to pay for an oil change?

Since it was the first oil change for this car, they said it was more expensive, because first time parts are hard to manufacture.

They gave me a coupon for next time.

possibly depends on vehicle. a Ferrari?  probably about right . a Ford ? = rip off. the suspicious part being first time parts ?  never heard of such rubbish and I worked in automotive industry for 39 years  mainly on engines !  may be worth getting a second opinion here  eg a break down of costs.parts needed. bear in mind many unscrupulous garages do try and 'add' extra costs in  such a renewing a sump plug and 'O' ring on an oil filter when ought not to be needed.  normally and indeed not at fist service. In fact most first services are in effect the cheapest! as pollen filter  .spark plugs etc are not needing replacing. have a check with another garage for same work  and if very different  we can get a further check. with yet another garage for quote same service  and car. then we can decide if garage has indeed overcharged and ask for monies back . bear in mind if they dig heels in we may have to involve trading standards . lawyers etc   though most garages are often members of a trade body or association and we can often contact them for their assistance to resolve matters. 

Not at all. They probably topped off your blinker fluid too.

I think that was too much.

It sounds like maybe you live in Corrupticut.

Since the price for oil changes is listed right there I'm not sure what your are asking.

You have to read the documents. That 29.95 covered labour.

Then you pay for parts and depending on the parts the price goes up.

No 500 is not excessive it depends on what they had to do.

You basically get free labour.and without that oil changes can get really expensive.

You have to list what was done during the change.

And "oil change" is really 'drive car in while oil is warm' open petcock, drain all oil, remove replace oil filter with new oil filter, fill with new oil.

Nothing else, no "engineering" involved.

If you had a shop charge you 500 and not 50 or 5 and that last is all they did?

I have nothing to say. 

Hopefully the tow to get there from Bumfark was included in the price.

sure, I believe ya

An oil change should be around $15-25 with coupon, or up to $40 without. Better yet do it yourself! for $12-$20. What parts? an oil filter is $4-8 and oil

Source(s): me

Maybe they dispose of the old oil by drinking it and there's a hospital co-pay to cover.

• TedEx

Unless other work was done, you were screwed.. An oil change shouldn't run more than $30.00