Power steering?

I have a Toyota Corolla and my car pulls hard to the right and sometimes feels like I have little control. I’ve gotten several alignments but this only helps for a day or so. Could it be my power steering? If so how much would this cost

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I'd suspect a tire with either a broken steel belt or sidewall issue or a leak that keeps the tire too low. 

Could be mechanical like a bent control arm or tie rod but the alignment guys should have noticed this issue. Ball joints last at least 100K miles but can cause a castor camber issue but the alignment guys should have noticed that problem. 

Some cars you simply have to switch the front tires and BOOM! problem solved. That's how you can tell it's a tire issue. You often have to remove a tire from the wheel to inspect the steel belt inside the tire. Or look very closely at the sidewall for any deformations or deep creases or dimples in the sidewall which can indicate the side wall has one layer of damage. Sidewall has two layers of rubber. 

• 1 month ago

It could be a low tire, if it isn't misaligned wheels. Older Corollas from the 90's had pronounced torque steer, and you just had to live with it, but not the ones they built in the last 10 years.

• 1 month ago

What year and how many miles on the vehicle? If you have a lot of miles on an older car the control arm bushings may be bad.

if it's a newer Toyota with an electric assist power steering system go to the dealer and find out if it's calibrated correctly or needs to be replaced.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • taylor1 month agoReport

2005 with 212,000 miles lol so that might be it 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Have a mechanic check out the car.  An alignment job will not fix it.  Could be bad ball joints.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Alignment place may not be checking your front end integrity. Something sounds loose like the inner or outer steering linkages. Struts or even ball joints. Steering gear mounts. Serious stuff. Take it to a good mechanic. 

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Take it back to the place you're getting the alignments done and tell them about your problem. Maybe THEY can find a cure for it.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The folks who are doing the alignment are amateurs. Find a good, independent mechanic who can actually diagnose your problem. If the car is bent, as someone suggested, there is probably little you can do.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Have a reputable tire store check your front tires.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sounds like you chassis is bent. That cannot be fixed. Get insurance if you don’t have it, then keep not taking off on green lights until somebody slams into the back of you, which is technically their fault. Claim insurance and buy a new car.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.