Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Can anyone recommend a comforter or twin blanket that doesn't shred in the washing machine?

I just bought my kid a really nice black and grey bedding set... expensive for no reason. The comforter shred in the washing machine. The pillow shams are starting to shred too. I am not a happy camper right now. I want to make sure the next comforter or blanket will at least withstand the spin cycle. Can anyone direct me or maybe have a brand name of the item. That's for the comforter, blanket, or whole bedding set (twin). Thank you.

Buy at macys

Send for dry cleaning verses washing

• Edwena

It is your washing machine, not the comforter.  The modern washing machine without the agitator and using the modern soaps are a real improvement.  On a gentle cycle they will not damage a comforter. 

I use cheap Walmart comforters because my hairy dog sheds like nobody's business. Throw them into a top loading (old) Kenmore washer on delicate and dry them in a Kenmore dryer (same age.) The key is these old machines, not the purchase.

I have been washing blankets, sheets, comforters, whole pillows and sneakers and bath mats and even plastic shower curtains without one single thing shredding in about 40 years.

I believe you where unfortunate to have purchased a very defective or low-quality comforter set and without a doubt I would have returned it shredded to the manufacturer and demand a refund.

Because I have been purchasing bedding for quite some time, I have purchased just about every brand out there without any issues whatsoever. My most recent purchases we're at TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, Macy's and overstock.com. The only reason I even am buying any new bedding is because it lasts so long, now I switch bedding seasonally to change things up.

I know it's really frustrating  to buy something  that at has fallen apart. I am finding that to be the case with a lot of my purchases these days and it's very discouraging and disappointing, nevermind being hassled with having to return things.

Was it supposed to be dry cleaned??

I've been washing such items for over 40 years, in a top-loading washer, and have never had any of them shred. I'm not buying the best quality, either. I don't even remember any of the brands, except that the duvets were from Ikea. All I can suggest is that you got very unlucky and got a defective product and I would take it back to where I bought it, or there is something wrong with your washing machine, or you are seriously overloading the machine.

I would look up comforters on Amazon and start reading customer reviews...they will list prices and everything you'll need to make an educated consumer decision.

Ive never had that happen, something is probably wrong with your washing machine