I've been a widow for 11 years. I live alone. Do I qualify as head of household?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If yours is a question on the US income tax definition, go to the IRS website and read the definition.  This is the only one that applies.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

1. The very concept of 'head of household' is absolutely ridiculous. A couple should be equal partners. If you believe you should be subservient to a man that is your problem.

2. As you live alone you can please yourself. Who do you propose is the head of a household that consists entirely of you?

3. This question has no relevance to science and much less to the biological discipline of zoology. Why it has been posted here is anyone's guess.

• 1 month ago

It would seem to me that this question concerns a very particular definition created for a particular purpose, whose details you do not divulge, so the  uninformed reader has not got the faintest idea what the hell you are talking about.

What is meant by "household" exactly ?  What is the significance of being "head" of a household ?  What "qualifications" do you need  for it for heaven's sake?

On a purely logical basis, if you are living alone, then you DO constitute a "household", and if you are not the "head" of it then who is - the cat, maybe ?

Of course you are the head of the household.

• 1 month ago

Anyone living alone is head of household.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You are head of household if you call the shots and pay the bills, regardless of whether you are widowed or married.

• abdul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, you have to have a dependant you are supporting to be a head of household.

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not unless you have dependent children in your household, no.

• 1 month ago

Yes, of course.

• pearlmar
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The Qualifying Widow(er) filing status is available to unmarried individuals for two years after the death of their spouse so long as they have a dependent child.

• 1 month ago

Nope, that would be your neighbor.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.