Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

What type of nightmares do you have?

I am doing a project on nightmares and dreamscapes, I just wanted to know what type of dreams do you guys have?

For example: a creature in the basement who rips out your organs and eats them... or... being chased by someone or something that may kill you etc etc

• Alfred

no nightmares  during the night...so far...

my '' nightmares'' use to be by daytime - with wickedness, violence, racism, intolerance etc.

• C

My dreams can be set anywhere but they tend to have a certain atmosphere in common.  There's either a deep sense of foreboding that a war is about to start, a war is actually underway or a war has recently ended with great destruction and loss.  I've committed terrible war crimes in my dreams.  I won't go into detail, you'd be too traumatised. I've always dreamt like this as long as I've been aware as dreams as different from waking.  Often, but not the majority of the time I dream a private city which has parts of all kinds of cities I've known, but I only notice that on waking.  The River Styx runs through the lower third.  It is surprising shallow and the water is always warm.  Every few years a dream a perfect facsimile to my waking life.  Those dreams really disturb me as it can take me days to separate out the dream day from my waking life.  You can't exactly get angry with someone for not turning up when they only planned the meet up in my dream.

• Becci1 month agoReport

Thank you 😊 

Usually happy dreams that are really interesting 

Mostly if l awaken l Can remember then

As l have to during rapid eye movement or

R.E.M.  the best time for recall. 

Have a great day

Thanks 

Very best wishes 

Mars

Source:) books and study

I'm lost in an urban or collegiate environment where I have a room or an office that I cannot find. I'm up and down staircases and escalators, in and out of lobby areas and confusing corridors with closed doors until I'm back where I started, like that. Often I have to pee, too, and the few places I find where that might be possible turn out to have no accessible toilets.

And when I wake from such a nightmare, of course I really do need to pee.

• Becci1 month agoReport

Thank you 😁

• Todd

Usually, frustration dreams. There's always something I have to do, somewhere I need to be, something I forgot and need to get or improvise in lieu of, but there are _always_ obstacles that pile up. The obstacles accelerate to the point of being absolutely ridiculous. It's Murphy's law on steroids.

When I used to drink a lot, the nightmares were more basic and direct, like stumbling on glass shards, worms crawling out of sores on the skin, spiders that multiply the more I try to get away, friendly dogs with play turning into painful biting to the point where the only choice is to physically harm them. Fun ones I have now, are the ones where I'm trying to escape from a group of people bent on finding me. They're stressful dreams and I'd classify them as nightmares because of the impending doom feel, but adventurous nonetheless. In any case, nowadays, nightmares are more like cartoons than real life, and there's never a feeling of game over. There's always a solution or a way out of any situation.

• Becci1 month agoReport

Thank you 😁

I dream very often so I'm giving you my recurrent nightmares: an extremely gaunt face staring at me from a distance, being forced to kill (suffocate) someone, falling endlessly, something I can't see that manages to grab me no matter how hard i try to escape.

If it helps all of my dreams and nightmares are lucid

• Becci1 month agoReport

Thank you 😁😁

• k w

I did have nightmares as a child after watching monster movies, they stopped after I quit watching them.....

• Will

My dreams are usually based off of things, mainly movies because of memories of having seen the movie. For example, there was a dream which was exactly what you would have expected in an A Nightmare on Elm Street movie. Freddy Krueger's portrayal in the dream was exactly like he was in the movies; being able to shape shift, appearing from the wall, etc.. Freddy did in fact attack me and slash my leg; that was when I woke up. The best part about that dream was that I woke up to find four long red scratch marks on my leg; my dream was so strong that I scratched myself in my sleep.

Another example was a dream based off of the Alien franchise. It took place on a ship, was being overrun by xenomorphs, I was not a Colonial Marine, but ended up with some whose characters were fabricated for the dream rather than be characters from the movies and video games. Again, for this dream something did happen to me. The xenomorph queen, which was both accurate to her appearance in the movie and had some fabrication unique to the dream, attack me and I died, which was when I woke up. 

I've had dreams whose contents were based off of video games such as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and took place in a war torn Paris as the Eiffel Tower began to fall. 

So for me personally, my dreams are rarely 100% or even 50% fabricated from scratch. They are usually based off of the characters and/or settings from movies, video games, tv shows, or books and are usually accurate to their descriptions in the sources. Although what many would consider a nightmare is just a dream to me and dreams I love because I wake up sweating, heart pounding, and adrenaline pumping. 

• Becci1 month agoReport

😊 thank you

• Nancy

I have two recurring nightmares. One involves a dream going on as normal and then looking up in the sky and seeing a dot, a light. It grows bigger and bigger and fierier and fierier as I realize it's a meteorite or a comet and it's heading directly towards me. The nightmare ends with seeing the enormous fireball come right at me through the sky as the ground catches fire leading up to me and then WHAM! It hits me and that's the end of a dream.

Another recurring nightmare I have is I'm in a tornado. At first, I'm fascinated because it's far off. Then another comes down. Then another. But soon the fascination flees to horror as I see all three tornadoes converging towards me. I'm usually standing on a bridge and my sister's usually with me. Sometimes we hunker down by the edge of the bridge. Sometimes we run underneath the bridge. Whatever we do, though, the tornadoes come and tear everything away around us and then tear us away. Sometimes that's where the dream ends. Sometimes I find myself flying through the air and falling, knowing I won't survive hitting the ground. In those ones, I usually jerk awake with that sensation of falling.

Well, there is one I have had repetitively.

I am sitting somewhere outside like in a park, and there is a low humming noise. At first, I can handle the sound but it starts to get louder and louder. Eventually there comes into a play a wailing and shrieking that is unbearable. It makes everyone around me double up in pain. Then the world goes black.

• Becci1 month agoReport

That’s great thank you 😁