Do I have to file my income tax return for an employer I only worked for 3 weeks?

The return I would get will probably only be like $5.00 because I worked only a few days of those 3 weeks.

I worked 2 other jobs last year and I just filled out the tax return info for those 2 other jobs but I have yet to receive my w2 for the job I worked only 3 weeks. Should I just wait for it to come in or can I skip it?

You include all income when you file your tax return...doesnt matter if you worked just one job or 10....

Wait for it or use the numbers from your last pay stub to file if you really need to do this immediately.  

If you are getting a big return, you are having too much withheld.  

You are required to include it.

Just to be clear, you file ONE tax return and include all three jobs on the one return.

If you omit the info from one job, the IRS will find the error when they cross check the returns later this summer. They will manually review your return. If that missing info causes you to owe money they'll send you a bill with interest and late payment penalties added.

If the missing info would have made your refund larger they'll just keep your money and wait to see if you file an amendment. If you don't claim the extra refund within 3 years its lost forever.

So leaving it out is a lose-lose situation, you either lose because you get hit with penalties and interest, or you lose by getting a smaller refund than you're actually entitled to.

There is no guarantee that the small amount from that job will make your refund larger. In fact, small amounts from side/temp jobs often make your refund smaller because it increases your income and you often didn't have enough withheld to cover the extra taxes.

Bottom line - yes you have to include it and you have to wait for the W2 from that employer.

• Judy

Since you are filing for the other jobs, you need to include ALL of your income So yes, you have to file the short one too.

All employers are required to submit a copy of the W2 forms to the IRS.  When they process your tax return they will compare it to the W2 forms they have on file.  If the form is missing your return is likely to be rejected and audited.  Even if they overlook the omission because it would not change your tax amount, the audit process will delay your refund by two months or more.

If it does change your tax amount, they can fine you for not including the information.  There goes most of your refund.You can file before Jan 27th, so it makes no sense not to wait until that final form comes in.  They have to have it to you by Jan 31.

Does it really make sense to delay your refund by weeks and risk a fine to file 3 days earlier?

You can't file your return until January 27 and employers have to send W-2's by January 31. There is no need to get so impatient that you can't wait a few extra days.

They don't have to complete a W2, nor report a small sum like that.

• Eva

You can't skip it. Wait for it to come. The IRS isn't accepting efiling until Jan 27 so you have time.

• Zachary1 month agoReport

Thanks I'll just wait for it.

You're doing it wrong.

You file ONE tax return that includes all the income from all three jobs. 

You are legally required to fill it out accurately.

• Zachary1 month agoReport

I understand and that's why I haven't submitted the tax return yet. I only filled out the portion of the 2 jobs I had last year. I'll just wait for my other w-2. 

Employers have until the end of January to get your W2 to you.

If you had any salary at all from them, you should include it.

If your earnings came to $600 or more, you are required to file a return and will need to wait until all returns are included.

• NA

The $600 rule applies to a person paying with a 1099-Misc.  It has NEVER applied to the payee.