I've never gotten around to reading the Harry Potter series. Is it worth the read?

• Silver
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely. It's one of the greatest book series of all time, adults and kids alike. Everyone should read Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia. Don't be discouraged if the first book is "weak", it's made for ten-year-olds like the ten-year-old Harry, the books grow more mature with him, just like how us millennials aged with him.

• Silver

Yup. But ever since I basically threw Divergent into the trash after how bad the last book was, I've been reluctant to start things until I know all the books are complete, good, and like, culturally worth it.

• chorle

My sons grew up reading them, I read a maybe the first three. If you do book one has a lot of set up so don't give up before maybe chapter 12. 

I like Terry Pratchett's discworld books, Robert Asprin's Myth Series, David Eddings' Belgarath the Sorcerer, and Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl books more but Harry Potter books are good. 

Since it was on the best seller list for years and spawned almost a dozen movies AND has featured attractions at Disneyland/world, yes, it's worth the read.

Of course nobody can predict whether YOU will enjoy them, but seeing they've been so immensely popular with all age groups and social classes all around the world, why wouldn't you at least try?

There is no law that says you have to read to the very end if you find you don't enjoy them.

It's good stuff. Read the first book and see if it's your cup of tea.

• Huh?

It depends how old you are but if you're over 14 I would say 'Not really'.  The hardcore fans tend to be those who started reading the books when they were about 9 or 10.  If you're much older than that you will find the first few books a bit simple-minded. The later ones ramble on too much because Rowling stopped worrying about what her editors said, and Bloomsbury didn't want to do anything that risked upsetting their major earner.

• bluebellbkk

I understand your reasoning, but in fact I, and many of my friends, didn't read the books until well into our 50s. Almost all of us loved them and still re-read them, years later (I'm over 70 now).

I don't like that there is so much "he said", "she said" in them. Annoying

I enjoyed them. Of course, books have more detail of stuff, and some things in the book are actually quite amusing, even for an adult like me

absolutely it is.  Do yourself a favour though... DO NOT watch the movies until you've read all of the books.

Yes, definitely. The movies don't do it justice, there's so much more to the Harry Potter world than the films show, I read it and I was glued.

It's not bad but gets kind of soap opera-ish as the series goes on. Kudos to JK Rowling for creating an entire new world that's pretty cool, though