Frederick asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 8 months ago

Do you agree Jimmy Carter was the best American leader?

• Nancy

Jimmy Carter is an amazing human being, but he wasn't the best leader. He had difficulty delegating. He tried to do all the jobs of the White House himself and suffered from burnout. He also lacked the political savvy to get what he wanted in Washington. He had always led in the past by being the guy who worked the hardest and who always did the right thing, earning him a great amount of respect by those he was to lead and inspiring them to want to follow him. That's not how Washington works, though. Washington doesn't give a whit about that. Washington operates solely on an economy of I'll scratch your back only if you scratch mine or I'll scratch your back only if you make me, only if you have some kind of leverage. Carter was naive, imagining Washington's politicians were like him-- there to do what was right for America. So he thought that so long as what he was doing was right for America, Washington would follow him, would support his legislation and support his initiatives. He couldn't have been more wrong. America elected him because that is who he was, because they wanted someone honest and virtuous and good after the whole scandal of Watergate and the extremely shady backroom deal that made his predecessor, Ford, President in exchange for pardoning Nixon. Unfortunately, a guy like that wasn't and isn't equipped to get anything done in Washington.

he was the smartest that the people chose for the time or else he would have been elected

No. It was probably Andrew Jackson who kept the federal reserve bank from being formed and was almost assassinated for it.

I agree that such a question belongs in Polls, and has NOTHING to do with Philosophy.

I lack the knowledge to form an opinion on this.

Against all odds, Trump -- long seen with scorn by the democrats and the Republican rank-and-file -- is about to become one of the greatest presidents of the United States, if not the greatest.

• Phil

He is not one of the best but he is not one of the worst either.

I loves me some Jimmy Carter! But he was too principled for a successful political career.

No. He was a great man but an ineffective president.

No it was Ronald Reagan!