Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Do you prefer to read a book, read on a tablet or listen to an audiobook?

I prefer audiobooks because my eyesight is horrendous and most books have very small print.

• chorle
    Favorite Answer

My preference is audio books and audio dramas. My local library system has a pretty good selection of books on CD I listen to in the car and there are many podcasted audio dramas and audio books including ones on LibriVox that I listen to in one earbud when I walk. (I like hearing if there are cars or other pedestrians)

The thing I like most about dead tree books is I can own them unlike digital books that I can only licence to read. 

The things I like about digital books is I can enlarge the texts and I can often get indie books much cheaper than deadtree with more money going to the author. 

I have been using the kindle more because I found I could set my android tablet app to black backgrounds and white letter for when my wife is asleep so I am less likely to wake her up. Also because I found that I borrow a selection of eComicbooks to read on my kindle app because I subscribe to Amazon Prime (wish I could set there blank spots and blank pages to black too) 

• 1 month agoReport

I purchased a lot of audiobooks.  Also listening through one earbud is  very smart and considerate.  I wish more people were that responsible.  

I like to read on a tablet most of the time. Rarely like to read from a book. I would listen to audiobooks if I like a narrative guide/ in the mood to hear a narrative voice.

Audiobook......

• david

Watch a movie.  I hate reading. --- Well I don't hate it, but given a preference I like movies.

• 1 month agoReport

I didn’t ask about movies.

I prefer to read, no matter what medium it is on. A monitor can be hard on the eyes, but there is a night mode that helps a bit.

Audiobooks, in my opinion, are great for long rides, but usually I find myself either missing a part and having to rewind, or falling asleep and losing which section I'm on. Or, even worse, just tone it out.

I prefer my Kindle Paperwhite.  Seeing as I'm a member of AARP, my eyes are having more trouble with print.  Paperbacks are hard for me to read.  I like the fact that I can enlarge the font and increase the contrast on my Kindle, and the fact that it's not a backlit LCD means less eye strain than with a tablet.  I also listen to audiobooks when out walking or exercising, and they can be really enjoyable with the right narrator.

I would rather order books on iPad because I like to be fancy. 

Book. I'm on the computer so much that READING more during the day only causes eye strain.

• Mark

By far, a book.  (Yes, I have both of the items you mentioned, but reading books on them leaves something to be desired.)

I get a lot of entertaining and useful books on my iPad for free. The commute is my main reading time and heavy media just doesn’t work.

• Chain⚡️

I do buy books but don’t keep most of them. In my city we also have many little ‘libraries' in front of homes. Which we can leave a book and take a book. My finished media is circulating my neighborhood.