Can neighbor cover up my window if they rebuild in NYC?

I have two floors townhouse in NYC and have windows on second floor; the window is between neighbor and my house. Neighbor just has one floor, but decided rebuild to three floors, so can they cover up my window?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

the question is ...how close is your neighbour ?..if you are joined and they want to build up then your window is no longer ..and if said window is a bedroom then it may make your bedroom illegal ..in uk you must have a window in all habitable rooms ..bathrooms and kitchens exempt ...and if they required planning im sure it would not be granted ...for sure a single storey house is cheaper to pull down ..excavate deeper footings and start from scratch 

• 1 month ago

By "cover up" i'm assuming your mean that their 3rd floor structure will block your 2nd floor window view. You can do what you can with talking to your neighbor, maybe putting a stay on the construction, perhaps if the case can be made that this new structure would be destroying some aesthetic, ruining your property value, etc......goodluck with that, its worth a shot. But it isn't a 'gimme" after all, it is their property and they do have property rights. The building code defines that when you own a piece of property you have the rights of that property, the land, underground and overhead air space...with of course  for easements and other such

exceptions.  .

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. Get a lawyer and stop it in the early design phase before they start building.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They can if they have a building permit.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That depends entirely on local rules, if there is no height limit, then they can build to height, regardless, especially if no right to view laws. Your planning dept has that info.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Talk to the neighbor and find out the plan...regarding YOUR window.  He would have had to submit to the planning department his proposal.  If he failed to mention your window and plans to wall it over...nope.  You can go down to planning department and complain. Stopping the project right in its tracks.  If it is a frosted window(bathroom) then it is mainly used for venting...not site seeing...so accommodations have to be in place that it continues to  vent. because it is hard to move a bathroom to somewhere else.  Like go now.  You know your address and the other address and city planning department can find the application real quick.  Stop it before it starts.  Or make them make adjustments to be suitable to you.  You may force the application for the building height change to BE DENIED.  Nothing the neighbor can do.  You have a voice in this business too.

• C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You need to ask the planning office for where you live.  There's no universal rule.  It may come down to whether your window has always been there or is a new addition.  Find out sooner rather than later as it's easier to prevent something happening than it is to restore it.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/about/contact-u...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.