Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 1 month ago

If I work seasonally at Christmas and tax season at HR block can I get unemployment for the rest/most of the year?

I ain’t never going to have nobody so I don’t need boat loads of money for family etc. I am just looking to get by with the basics, food, clothing, shelter. Internet is pretty cheap. 

• Eva

Probably not. You won't have enough weeks or enough earnings to qualify. Your unemployment is based on your earnings and you probably would not get enough to pay all your living expenses.

If you choose not to work the rest of the year, then you don't get unemployment.

If you don't look for work the rest of the year, then you don't get unemployment.

If you didn't work during enough "quarters" of the year (January-March, April-June, July-September, October-December), then you don't get unemployment.

If you try to work all year (and just can't find work) and you worked enough quarters, then you may be able to get unemployment.

• Scott

No. Seasonal work is seasonal (temporary). You accept the job with the mutual understanding it is short term. You would not be eligible for unemployment compensation.

• Judy

Vary unlikely, but you can apply and find out.