I'm a junior (High school) with a 1.67 GPA because my freshman year was a mess and took a toll on my GPA. I would have a 3.7 right now.?

If I didn't nearly flunk freshman year. Am I going to have to go to community college because my GPA is so low?

I just realized I mistyped!! I meant 3.167 not 1.67.... No wonder the answers are so rude :(

Favorite Answer

Relax.  If you have a GPA over 3.0, are getting increasingly better grades each year, and get a strong score on the ACT or SAT, you can get into lots of great universities.

If your goal is to attend a more selective university, you'll just have to see if your post-freshman performance and your explanation of what happen freshman year is enough to sway the admissions staff.

While community college is always an option, it doesn't sound like it would be a good choice for you.  Keep in mind that thousands of students also transfer from one university to another.  

Focus now on doing some prep work for your SAT or ACT and make sure to ask your teachers for letters of recommendation before the end of the school year.  You want to have all your ducks in a row for next fall.  

With grades like that, you should not be allowed to graduate from high school. Yes, your performance is so poor that to be a junior already and not boost your GPA despite a poor freshman year indicates you still aren't up to snuff. If you were really earning 3.7 or so during sophomore & junior years, your overall GPA should be higher. Are you calculating correctly? Did you retake freshman courses & pass the second time around? Something is seriously awry here.

• Emma1 month agoReport

You didn't read the update that I put... I have a current 3.167 GPA. Not 1.67. Yes, I did my calculations correctly and no I did not retake freshman courses

i would try to get your grades up and maybe then you wont have to go to a community college

• MS

A 3.167 is a good GPA. Many colleges will accept you with that. 

Only if you major in fast food.

What makes you think you will be attending Harvard despite underachieving?