Jason asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Gym Workout Help?

For my gym routine I have started using partial reps where I complete around 1/3 of the rep on a very high weight. I experience heavy lactic acid buildup after doing these however I was wondering if these sort of reps are effective particularly seeing as I am unable to complete the full rep on such a high weight so I complete around a 1/3 before reaching my limit and stopping

• Eva
    Favorite Answer

I was taught to use a weight that made it difficult to do the last 1 or 2 reps. You should back off to a lighter weight. You risk injury and tearing a muscle the way you're doing it. Lactic acid buildup indicates you're over-working.

No, that is not helping you do anything, except train your body through a short range of motion and cause issues later. If you cannot do a proper rep, the weight is too heavy. Period.

There are some body building schools of thought that use that technique. When it's all about looks you may want to get a peak right in the middle of the bicep (or wherever) by stopping and flexing with the elbow at 87 degrees, for example.

If you want to be more well rounded and functional an acceptable "cheat" is just a little momentum. Where yet another school of thought is to always have perfect form and always engage and isolate the correct muscle, one still more is to cascade through the compound. Not full on jumping and swinging like some people do but you let some of the larger muscles initiate the "explosive" work while the smaller ones kinda help out a little and get their work in. I think alot of WWE stars have that type of look vs Arnold or Ronnie Coleman who may use what you first mentioned.