I am learning English, I can say "This shirt is for me", so can I say "This shirt had better be for me, if not, I'll hit you."?

I know that if I add 'had better be' I am suggesting that there will be consequences if it isn't the case. But I just want to use them as an example, so are they grammatically correct and sound naturally?

Ex:

- This shirt had better be for me, if not, I'll hit you.

- This pen better be for her, if not, I'll hit you.

Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, you cannot say that, either semantically or grammatically.

In that grammatical structure, you "had better" say "or else" instead of "if not."

• 1 month ago

It's not helpful to us or to you if you post examples that you already KNOW we wouldn't use.

A less threatening, and entirely natural, example, is:That ice-cream had better be for me or I'll send you right back to the shop!

or

That book you're holding had better be the one I lent you last week, or I'll never lend you a book again!

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Had better be is another way of saying it must and, in these examples, it seems out of place because why would someone threaten another person over a shirt or a pen. You might want to save "had better be" for special situations rather than as a filler when you don't want to say something else. It would be better for you to use it sparingly and very selectively.

• 1 month ago

It is incorrect to leave out the "had"- your second sentence has no verb. But people often say that in informal conversation- "This better be for me".  No, we don't go around threatening to hit each other, no matter what you see in the movies. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

In informal (American) English, you'd probably say something under those lines:

"This shirt better be for me, or else I'll kick your sorry *** all the way to the hospital."

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is natural for a 5 year old to say. No adult would say Do this or I will hit you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.